Camera for Church D7200 or D750

Secksy007

Hey guys,

Here are a few shots I grabbed with my D5100 to today at Church to give you a better idea of the different lighting scenarios I face. I used the Tamron 70-300 to take these. So do you think the D7200 will do the job, or do I try to find an extra few thousand for the D750 + lenses?

andy_161127_002.jpgandy_161127_003.jpgandy_161127_004.jpgandy_161127_005.jpgandy_161127_006.jpgandy_161127_007.jpgDSC_7719.jpgDSC_7725.jpgDSC_7729.jpgDSC_7742.jpg

All your advice and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks again :)

Cheers Andrew

Secksy007

And what exactly do you find wrong with these photos?

Hi Brent. Thanks for replying

They tend to be a little noisy at higher ISO's. Plus I've had my D5100 for a while now and just want a camera body with a bit more functionality and quick access to features.

That's why I'm having this internal struggle about whether the extra cost of the D750 is absolutely necessary for me in these shooting conditions, or whether people with far more experience than I do think that the D7200 will be just fine?

Bikerbrent

Are you planning to print your photos? If so, how large? Do you plan on doing a lot of cropping? The photos you posted should be fine at 5x7 or even 8x10 without heavy cropping. Yes, you can pixel peep and see noise, but unless you are planning to print them poster size or larger, so what. Yes, you can save your dollars, and lots of them, and get a D750 with Nikon 24-70mm and 70-200mm F2.8 lens and pixel peep all you want, but at 5x7 print size you really won't see much difference.

aroy

The images are quite clear and noise is not that intrusive. Any current body will have even lower noise. The D750 has a few advantages, but at a cost. You can shoot wider scenes and the noise will be lower.

Both D7200 and D750 will meter with the older MF AIS lenses, so you can acquire the 28mm/24mm f2.8 AIS lenses for indoor shooting. If you can manage to ramp up your finances the 50mm F1.2 AIS lens is one to own for that beautiful isolation and low light performance.

I think the photos you have posted are fine..save a few $$$ and get the 7100 and a new Nikon lens .If you don't you may not see a vast improvement . do you shoot raw or jpeg? The 3000 and 5000 do not have fine focus adjust which can make a vast difference particularly with longer lenses.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
They look good. Please keep in mind a D750 isn't an absolute necessity. Take a look at the comparison on the following link. No matter what, you will still get noise at high ISO with either body. So here's the real question....do you find yourself really wanting to go full frame which comes with a higher price tag especially when considering FX lenses cost more than comparable DX lenses? I'm not convinced you really want to make the change. There are post processing programs that will minimize noise to an acceptable level.

That said, if you have a strong desire to go FX, then now is the time to make the change. But you can still achieve excellent results with a D7200. As the others have mentioned, how will the photos be displayed? If they will be printed large, then you will see noise especially if you pixel peep.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55889818

Secksy007

we still don't know if you shoot Jpeg or raw and what the hundreds of images you shoot every week are used for ...????

Thank you so much for all your replies guys. You are a great bunch of people.

To answer a question that popped up earlier about whether I shoot RAW or JPEG! It's both at the moment (not by choice). I have always shot RAW, but often Church wants the photos quickly to post to their website and social media and I have no option but to shoot JPEG.

However, if I can convince them to give me an hour or two to get home and process my shots...its RAW all the way.

I guess another advantage of upgrading to a D7200 or D750 is that it has dual card slots so I can separate RAW and JPEG files on different cards.

Last edited:

robbins.photo

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my camera.

I currently have a D5100 and have recently been asked to take regular photos at Church.

These photos range from changing lighting (different colours & effects) inside the main auditorium capturing shots of the musos, speakers & pastor, to getting candid photos in the foyer(and often outside) after the service.

Although my shots are resonable so far, even bumping the ISO to 3200 on my D5100 still underexposes at times inside the auditorium.

My current lenses are:
Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD.

So my dilemma is, here in Australia, a D750 (body only), will cost an extra $1,400. On top of that, I'll need to invest in more lenses. Or I could get the D7200 and buy 1 or 2 extra good quality lenses for around the same price.

Will the performance of the D750 be so much more superior in my shooting scenario outlined above considering the substantial extra cost? Will I notice a far better image quality using the D7200 compared to my current D5100?

Any camera & lens suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Ok, so a couple of different options come to mind. I'd check and see if you can find a good, used D600. As far as value for your dollar they are very difficult to beat. I shoot one myself, fantastic camera - and full frame for that price was just too hard to pass up.

I also picked up a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, which work exceptionally well with the D600, I purchased one without the built in motor dirt cheap used.

As far as 70-200mm is concerned, if you can find one used in your area a Sigma 70-200mm HSM I or HSM II without the OS are usually inexpensive but a very good value.

RocketCowboy

Ok, so a couple of different options come to mind. I'd check and see if you can find a good, used D600. As far as value for your dollar they are very difficult to beat. I shoot one myself, fantastic camera - and full frame for that price was just too hard to pass up.

I also picked up a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, which work exceptionally well with the D600, I purchased one without the built in motor dirt cheap used.

As far as 70-200mm is concerned, if you can find one used in your area a Sigma 70-200mm HSM I or HSM II without the OS are usually inexpensive but a very good value.

Great suggestions here too! The D600/D610 is so overlooked, the money you save on the D610 vs D750 could help bridge the lens gap if moving from DX to FX. The D7200 still have more features and newer AF than the D6x0. I haven't gotten hands on with the D7200, but comparing the D7100 and D610 in low light scenarios I prefer the D610. Could be a great compromise position between the two bodies the OP originally asked about.

robbins.photo

I'd recommend you look for a good used D600 or D610, they are both great cameras. I shoot a D600 myself, and believe me it is a huge step up in lowlight performance from the D7100.

As to lenses, one of my favorites was actually one of the cheapest I've ever bought, the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. I paid $130 for it used, and it's a phenomenal lens. I bought an older version without the built in focus motor, there are newer versions available that are a bit more expensive that have the motor built in - but for my needs I really didn't need faster or quieter AF. For you, shooting in church the built in motor might be the way to go, won't be quite as loud as the screw type I use.

There are also a lot of older D type lenses available for the full frame in those focal lengths that are very cost effective. So yes, it is very possible to upgrade to full frame and not spend a kings ransom on lenses. In a pinch even your old DX lenses will work, the camera will switch to DX mode and you'll wind up with a smaller image file, and of course your FOV will be the same as a crop sensor, but you still get the better lowlight of the full frame and you can shoot DX lenses on your FX if you need time between buying the body and upgrading the lenses.

Secksy007

Well kids...I pulled the trigger!

My local store had a brilliant offer on a D750 that was just too good to pass up. For 12 hours only, they knocked $500 off the normal price, $200 cash back redemption through Nikon and a $100 gift card!

It's certainly a big step up from my little workhorse D5100, but I'm looking forward to the challenge and getting my hands dirty.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice. It helped a great deal.

Cheers Andrew

carguy

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my camera.

I currently have a D5100 and have recently been asked to take regular photos at Church.

These photos range from changing lighting (different colours & effects) inside the main auditorium capturing shots of the musos, speakers & pastor, to getting candid photos in the foyer(and often outside) after the service.

Although my shots are resonable so far, even bumping the ISO to 3200 on my D5100 still underexposes at times inside the auditorium.

My current lenses are:
Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD.

So my dilemma is, here in Australia, a D750 (body only), will cost an extra $1,400. On top of that, I'll need to invest in more lenses. Or I could get the D7200 and buy 1 or 2 extra good quality lenses for around the same price.

Will the performance of the D750 be so much more superior in my shooting scenario outlined above considering the substantial extra cost? Will I notice a far better image quality using the D7200 compared to my current D5100?

Any camera & lens suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Andrew - Are you talking about taking pictures during service where a flash is not usually accepted?

If you can use a flash, any of the lenses you listed will work fine.
Without a flash, you can go as low as a D7100 body with the 35mm 1.8G and end up with usable results in low light situations. The 18-105 and 70-300 you listed just don't let in enough light for that.
You certaninly do not need to go to a Full Frame (FX) body, much less need to buy a new lens.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

My local store had a brilliant offer on a D750 that was just too good to pass up. For 12 hours only, they knocked $500 off the normal price, $200 cash back redemption through Nikon and a $100 gift card!

It's certainly a big step up from my little workhorse D5100, but I'm looking forward to the challenge and getting my hands dirty.

Cheers Andrew

Congrats on your D750. It's a terrific camera and will serve you well under your church's conditions.

Danno

Cheers Andrew

Sounds like a great price if I followed all the numbers right! Congratulations. I do not think you will be disappointed. The D750 is an amazing camera and it should work well in your Church.