Camera destroyed!

Browncoat

D300s
MB-D10 grip
Extra battery
Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD Aspherical (IF)
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF)
x3 PocketWizard Plus II
LumoPro LP160 flash
Lowepro Flipside 400
Misc batteries and memory cards

jcottone45

Hi Anthony, I am sorry to hear that you lost your camera equipment in the flood, as bad as that is thank god that no one was injured & the loss is minimized to your equipment. You stated the insurance adjuster was due to arrive the next morning, I hope that was the case & that you'll be reimbursed for your loss.
I wish we lived closer, I'd let you use any of my equipment you'd like in the interim if you needed.

Browncoat

I did check out the D7000. It came out just a few months after I got my D90, and haven't had an opportunity to get my hands on one until yesterday. I must say that I didn't really care for it. I'm glad it was there though, because it made the decision to upgrade to the D300s that much easier.

Really, the D7000 is about the same as the D90 only with better HD video...which isn't useful to me. There are a few other added features, but not really anything I couldn't live without. What sold me on the D300s:

• 51 autofocus points vs. 11 in the D90 and D7000
  • No more auto shooting modes
  • Dual memory card slots
  • Higher FPS
  • Better construction
  • Huge overall AF upgrades (speed/options/bigger motor)
  • Better matrix metering

johnwartjr

I think there's some confusion here...

The D7000 was announced in September of 2010, well after the D90.

Don't want to sound like a 'camera snob', just want to get the specs straight for the purpose of discussion. Either camera is definitely an upgrade over the D90.

D7000 has 39 AF points, not 11. Still less than 51, agreed.
D7000 has the new TTL exposure metering that uses 2x the sensors that the D300s used.
D7000 has dual SD slots, D300S has 1 SD, 1 CF
D7000 is slightly lighter than D300s.
D7000 has 6 fps, D300s has 7 fps or 8 with the battery grip and the EN-EL4A battery
D7000 has more WB options
D7000 base ISO is 100, D300s base ISO is 200
D7000 has better low light performance than the D300s

Personally, I'm happy with my D700, which is dang near the same thing as the D300s, just with a FX sensor and only a single CF slot. After checking out the D7000 my Dad bought, I briefly considered selling my D90 and buying a D7000, because I still use my D90 to get a little more 'reach' with my 70-200, but I think I'm more interested in what is coming out in the fall.

And, if I need it, I can always borrow Dad's D7000 I'm sure :)

Browncoat

I said it came out a few months after I got my D90...not after the D90 was released. I joined here in July of 2010, and I believe I purchased my D90 in May. The D7000 is a "filler" camera that bridges the gap between the high level consumer model (D90) and the low level pro camera (D300s). For the $300 price difference, it didn't offer much over the D90, so I didn't pay much attention to what all the D7000 offers. I handled it, made a few shots, and put it back.

In my opinion, the D7000 was made for those who simply must have the latest gear, as that particular end of the Nikon brand hadn't seen an update in awhile. The resident Nikon guru at the camera store shared the same opinion. My comparison above was for the D90 vs. the D300s, as I considered the D7000 a non-factor in my decision...with the exception of the AF points, I didn't know the D7000 had 39 instead of 11.

For the purpose of discussion: I consider dual SD cards to actually be a drawback. While CF is an older format, it still has notably faster write speeds than SD.