Camera Bag for full day hiking

ajsorrell

I'm looking for: Camera bag for 1 FULL day hike in rough terrain. Needs to support a water bladder, carry a tripod, some food, and plenty of gear (D600 w battery grip, 70-200 f2.8, and a few other lenses). A laptop sleeve would be a bonus because then it could replace my international travel bag. I'm not a big guy (5'8" 160 lbs) so ergonomics, balance, and weight are important to me. Suggestions??? I've looked at the Lowepro Trekker 400AW and the reviews are good but I want to see more options. Only downside for me was no quick side pocket to get the camera out. I've also looked at some of the Clik bags but get overwhelmed with their website.

More about my situation:
I have come to realize, I can't live with just 1 (or 2) camera bags because my use for them varies too much. I primarily shoot around town and for that my Slingshot 302AW works great. I can easily access my gear and it will work with my BlackRapid Strap. Only complaint is that after a full day, my shoulder starts to tire and its even worse if you carry a tripod because the load is off balance. I have taken it on full day hikes on the Great Wall or through some mountains and I end up hand carrying it after a while to take the strain off my shoulder and back. Its also more difficult to carry enough water in the pack for a full day hike.

Rick M

For long hikes I use my Thinktank belt and holster system. All of my gear fits and is easily accessible without taking anything off. Very convenient for lens changing also. This would leave your shoulders free for a small backpack for your other stuff. This system also lowers your center of gravity which I find makes my climbing around easier/safer.

FastGlass

Wow that's allot of gear to haul. I use a Tamrac 3375. I usually bring my D3s, 70-200, 24-70, 1.7 tc, flash, cords, batteries. It gets pretty heavy after a while. Although silly as it sounds, I wouldn't mind finding something bigger as I too wouldn't mind bringing along my laptop. Let us know what you find.

rocketman122

what about the mini trekker AW? you can mount a medium sized tripod on the back. it has an AW cover and it sells for around $60. I have this and 5 other lowepro bags. my photo trekker AW for my weddings for battle ready to the hilt and the smaller mini trekker AW when I go on vacations. I do have a commercial AW MF that ive used just a few times but it gets tiring shlepping around.

this picture shows proportion and size with gear in although the person didnt really take advantage of the space properly. good luck.

some pics on the other evil websiteDiscussion Forums @ Nikonians - LOWEPRO MINI TREKKER BAG (MINT CONDITION-LIKE NEW)

Last edited:

fotojack

Unfortunately, there isn't a do-it-all kind of bag for what you want to do. Compromises have to be made when deciding what you want to carry when out and about. I have 4 different Lowepro bags myself, but each one serves a purpose; one for all day excursions (Computrekker AW), one for street photography (Messenger Pro AW 180), one for daily shoots (Nova 4 AW), and one for just general shooting around the house or family shots...whatever (Lowepro Sideline Shooter). I even sometimes carry a small National Geographic bag (NG2343) if I'm carrying my D40 as a backup.

jrleo33

The Adorama Slinger bags are very good for a day hike. I carry my D600 with a 24-85mm F/3.5G with a neck strap, and in the bag, a 70-200mm F/4G lens, food, and a water bottle in the end webbing. I can carry a 35mm and a 50mm Prime, but less food. I will mount my SB400 if a flash is needed. There is room in the bag for an extra battery, memory cards, filter and such. With the camera, bag, and (4) lenses plus extras, the weight is about (10) to (11) pounds. Both zoom lenses are VRs, so no Tripod http://www.adorama.com/GBSLGR.html

Last edited:

ajsorrell

Thanks Rick. I have spent some time looking at that setup and am on the fence about it. I prefer to have everything in one bag in case I get caught in bad weather or need to pass the pack up to a friend before I climb. Some of the places I go, the pack has to come off and be hoisted up.

I really wish I had someone around me with that setup so I could try it. Unfortunately the camera bag shops around me are pretty poor at options.

ajsorrell

Thanks for all the feedback. Here are some of the options I am looking at now:

Clik Elite Contrejour 40 (at the top of my list now)
New! 2014 Contrejour 40 | Backpacks | Clik Elite
I like that you can access camera from side and all gear from the back. You can put the tripod on the back center and it doesn't get in the way when you access your gear. Downside is no dedicated place for a laptop but I read a review of someone who says they carry their laptop inside with a sleeve and it works well. It also looks like it sits closest to the body to help with balance.

Moutainsmith Parallax (like the separate DSLR bag that attaches to chest)
Mountainsmith Parallax Camera Backpack
I don't like the tripod on the side. I like the camera access through the side and the camera storage bag that attaches to the chest is an awesome idea.

Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 (I know their products from experience)
Pro Trekker 400 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
Can't go wrong with Lowepro. The bag has no quick access to items. Also from pictures it looks like the pack is deeper than others which seems like it would be harder on your shoulders and balance.

f Stop Tilopa (bad ass and price to match...)
Tilopa BC - Backpacks - Mountain - Products
Most expensive bag and looks bad ass. No quick access to camera unfortunately. I also don't like that I have to buy a dedicated ICU to hold my camera gear.

Jonathan

Inspired by this conversation I went a-hunting. I already have a Billington bag for ALL my kit but want a bag I can use to carry on planes that will also take the sort of things I need when travelling and flying (iPad, Bose 'phones, iPod original, head amp, water, condoms (just kidding), Kindle, and so on). I don't need something to take all my camera kit, just my D7100 body, 18-300 lens, battery pack, flash, cables/chargers and (occasionally) tripod. I have just ordered this: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW Backpack for Camera - Orange: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo. Excited.

ajsorrell

Inspired by this conversation I went a-hunting. I already have a Billington bag for ALL my kit but want a bag I can use to carry on planes that will also take the sort of things I need when travelling and flying (iPad, Bose 'phones, iPod original, head amp, water, condoms (just kidding), Kindle, and so on). I don't need something to take all my camera kit, just my D7100 body, 18-300 lens, battery pack, flash, cables/chargers and (occasionally) tripod. I have just ordered this: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW Backpack for Camera - Orange: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo. Excited.

Cool man. I looked at that bag too. I have a bag for airplane travel. Its actually a Chinese brand but pretty good for getting all my electronics (D600, 3 lenses, speed light, sony RX100, 2 GPS, sunglasses, macbook, cables and chargers, beats headphones, etc) from point a to point b. I'm hoping that the bag I get for hiking can double as my airplane bag.

Jonathan

It arrived yesterday. Last night I packed it and spent the evening cuddling it. It will get its time from next week as it will become my daily commute bag to break it in. I'm looking forward to having my camera with me the whole time. Cool colour, too.

Ambient

I completely understand! I got a "new" to me bag and when I saw it sitting on the table this morning it made me smile!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ajsorrell

Last edited: