Calibrating a lens to Nikon D7200

agh55

Started to notice my images were not tac sharp and found out you can make fine tune adjustments. All the info on YouTube really refers to prime lenses but when it comes to zoom lenses I can't find one that advises you how to do it. If your lens is 70 to 200 do you set your lens at 70mm, place your template at 3500mm( YouTube says you use a multiplication of 50 )' or do you pick a setting at mid range. What sort of templates does anyone recommend using.

agh55

Hi Don, thanks for your very prompt reply, hopefully you can help further. I have checked the UK FoCal site and I see there are three versions, Standard, Plus and Pro which one would you recommend. Also did you download the target image
from their site or order a hard copy. Also, where do you connect the lead from the camera to the PC, I have three connections on the D7200, Mic, HDMI and Headphones.

agh55

Hi JF Photo, andthanks for responding. I believe my images from the 7200 could be sharper andwhen I looked at the internet and YouTube they give an idea on how you can confirmif the lens is calibrated properly to the camera. Most suggest, downloading atemplate and setting at an angles of 30 degrees and taking a number of shots andthen adjusting the fine tune until you get the sharpest. Another one is to buya Spydercal but this is approx. £50. The software that Don suggested rangesfrom £20 to £70 and I like the idea of software analysing which image is thesharpest. Not sure if I need all the extras that the pro version has at £70.

Hi Don, thanks for your very prompt reply, hopefully you can help further. I have checked the UK FoCal site and I see there are three versions, Standard, Plus and Pro which one would you recommend. Also did you download the target image
from their site or order a hard copy. Also, where do you connect the lead from the camera to the PC, I have three connections on the D7200, Mic, HDMI and Headphones.

I downloaded the file and printed it. How I printed is pretty good. I bought photo quality MATTE paper to print on. Gloss might cause some problems. I then went to Office Depot and bought some foam core board that has adhesive on one side and mounted the photo and then trimmed it to size. This one print has lasted me a long time and is totally flat. This is important in fine tuning.

Unless you have a 400+mm lens you could get by with the standard or plus versions. The Plus will give you a few more options but it is a matter of what you want to do with it. The standard should do fine for one camera just to do the basic tuning.

https://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/versions/version-comparison/

agh55

Hi Don, apologies for not responding sooner, I hadn't realised there was an update. I'll probably go for the Pro version, as there is a saying, "only dear once"

Bikerbrent

Hey BigTex, Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. You realized that the original issue was Jul 2016!!! We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Fred Kingston

Is there a way to save changes on camera when lens alignment has been preformed? I have 2 lens (Nikon & Sigma).
Maybe you should describe what exactly it is you're doing and what you mean by "lens alignment" because the place you do that on a Nikon in the menu is also where that "alignment" is saved.

BigTex

Maybe you should describe what exactly it is you're doing and what you mean by "lens alignment" because the place you do that on a Nikon in the menu is also where that "alignment" is saved.
Forgive my ignorance as I am purchasing lens alignment chart (or tool) to verify that my lens and camera are aligned. I am retired and have been using D7200 camera for 4 years now. I understand the camera where in Nikon menu is alignment saved? I still do not have time to spend taking photos regularly as I should. I live in the country and have an abundance of objects to photograph. Because of the drought here in Texas, I have found little as of late to photograph. Your comments and help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Fred Kingston

Forgive my ignorance as I am purchasing lens alignment chart (or tool) to verify that my lens and camera are aligned. I am retired and have been using D7200 camera for 4 years now. I understand the camera where in Nikon menu is alignment saved? I still do not have time to spend taking photos regularly as I should. I live in the country and have an abundance of objects to photograph. Because of the drought here in Texas, I have found little as of late to photograph. Your comments and help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Here's a link to "calibrate" your lenses.

wildshots

Started to notice my images were not tac sharp and found out you can make fine tune adjustments. All the info on YouTube really refers to prime lenses but when it comes to zoom lenses I can't find one that advises you how to do it. If your lens is 70 to 200 do you set your lens at 70mm, place your template at 3500mm( YouTube says you use a multiplication of 50 )' or do you pick a setting at mid range. What sort of templates does anyone recommend using.
Hey! Thanks for reminding me. I have calibrated lenses before and it did help. I'd forgotten completely about this process. I just did the 'in camera' procedure. I think this may sharpen the combo I've just started shooting with.

Thanks again
Sam