Buying new camera: Sell DX Lenses (D610) or Keep (D7100)

Nathan Lanni

I would wait to see how Nikon will (and if) continue to position the D610. IMO the specs for the D610 vs D750 are so close, if I needed to buy a new FX body in that range, I'd wait a bit and get the D750. But on the other hand the D610 is a great body and I agree with Gorf, I think you're going to see the D610 drop in price. The Nikon USA site has D610's on sale for $1,799 which seems to me is about $100 less than just a few weeks ago.

I don't think oil is going to be an issue. I can't believe Nikon would go through all the trouble of introducing a new model to fix their previous mistake, and then repeat that same mistake? Highly unlikely. Especially since oil spots are not common in any of the other models (at least that I am aware of). That says Nikon knows how to build a shutter correctly so they must have done that for the D610.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I will probably wait until I can afford one with a warranty. I don't wanna chance it with the likelihood of oil spots.

I don't know where you got your information, but the D600 never had "Oil" problem. There was a dust problem caused by some shutter material getting loose but there was never a question of oil.

Getting a used D600 and using the saved money to do a trip with photo opportunity would probably be more beneficial than just waiting for the perfect camera that will never be since there will always be a better one just within the next year or so.

Nathan Lanni

I don't know where you got your information, but the D600 never had "Oil" problem. There was a dust problem caused by some shutter material getting loose but there was never a question of oil.

Getting a used D600 and using the saved money to do a trip with photo opportunity would probably be more beneficial than just waiting for the perfect camera that will never be since there will always be a better one just within the next year or so.

Very good point, good deals are always out there.

I apologize if I misspoke about the "oil" issue.

bmilcs

After a quick search, it looks like Amazon is my best bet? $1400 for a new D600, 1 year warranty, etc.

Should I attempt to get a used version with a warranty or is it too risky?

Deleted

I'm not sure why buy a D600 when the current model D610 is only another $400? The D600 had very bad press & the resale value would be under much more pressure than with the well-received D610.

The D610 is already starting to drop in price following the D750 availability & I'm sure it will reduce further in price in the next quarter as retailers try to dump their stock.

bmilcs

I'm not sure why buy a D600 when the current model D610 is only another $400? The D600 had very bad press & the resale value would be under much more pressure than with the well-received D610.

The D610 is already starting to drop in price following the D750 availability & I'm sure it will reduce further in price in the next quarter as retailers try to dump their stock.

$400 is a lot of money to me. That is why. If money weren't the issue, I would get the D750.

I am still unsure as what to do. Will a D600 without a warranty still get fixed by Nikon? Not even BHPhoto used cameras come with the manufacturer warranty but they do offer 30 day money back gaurentee / 90 day warranty.

Deleted

Understood about the $400, but my point is that within a month or two, the D610 may well drop down that much. So better to wait a month or so if you can & get the D610 with full warranty & better resale value.

Nathan Lanni

$400 is a lot of money to me. That is why. If money weren't the issue, I would get the D750.

I am still unsure as what to do. Will a D600 without a warranty still get fixed by Nikon? Not even BHPhoto used cameras come with the manufacturer warranty but they do offer 30 day money back gaurentee / 90 day warranty.

As to your question about the D600 getting fixed by Nikon. Are your referring to the shutter issue? If so I believe there are a number of people here that can speak first hand about it. If it's a USA spec dslr, then Nikon will work on it. As far as non-USA spec models, a Nikon rep told me they won't touch it even for a fee.

Assess your risk aversion. Personally I think Nikon dslr's are a better than average gamble, especially now that Nikon has gotten out ahead of the shutter issue. Other than that, IMHO Nikon has a pretty good track record. As Marcel mention, you could save quite a bit on a good used D600. The money you save could justify a repair, if you ever needed it.

FWIW

bmilcs

With my wedding in less than 3 weeks, I need to pick up a camera for the honeymoon. I can't afford the 750 and that's a sad story after testing one out at a local shop. The d610 is a beautiful camera and I've decided I'm going to get a used one online. It's in my budget at 1500 and I'm sure it'll serve me well.

Fortkentdad

Don't forget the D610 will shoot DX too. You can configure it to auto-crop when a DX lens is attached or do your own cropping of any vignetting that may appear pp.