Buy now, or wait on the Z7iii?

Clovishound

Well, Nikon has the Z7ii on sale right now for $2K. That's around a grand off. I know one reason it's likely to be so deeply discounted is getting ready for the Z7iii, rumored to be coming out later this year. I'm wondering if I should jump on this now, or hold on for either a Z7iii, or possibly a Z8. The 8 is currently on sale for $3500, so that's a big jump in price. I wasn't really looking at upgrading my camera right now, but not sure I can pass up this camera at this price. The Pup didn't help any, telling me she and SWMBO could kick in some father's day money.

I currently shoot a lot of birds and macro. The high resolution sensor would be a big upgrade for everything I currently shoot with my Z5. The autofocus is likely a significant upgrade for birds and other wildlife, but not in the same league as the Z8/9. I could possibly justify the 2K right now, but not sure I could justify well over 3K for either a Z7iii, or a Z8.

What say you?

BF Hammer

I have a Z8 or maybe it's successor possibly being my next body, with my Z5 becoming the low-res 2nd body. But I also have an upgrade plan for all of my F-mount lenses to new Z-mount, and I want most of that to be completed before buying a new body. Trading in current hardware is going to be key for affording my upgrades.

Do not be distracted from your end goals. Unless you really need a bag of magic beans.

Clovishound

Well, I would like to have a Z8, but really can't justify the cost. The only way I see me owning a Z8, is winning the lottery, start making money with my photography, or my wife running off with the pool boy. I don't play the lottery, currently don't sell any of my pictures, and I don't own a pool. The Z7iii is rumored to possibly have a 60 mp sensor. That would be great, but that would not be such a big increase in resolution compared with the jump from 24 to 45. And that is not as big a jump as you might think, if the real world comparisons I have seen are true.

My real end goals are to improve my skills significantly, and have the equipment necessary to meet the needs of those skills. Obviously, the former is much more important than the latter. I currently have the lenses I need. Down the road, I would like to have a native mount long tele, but the 200-500 with an FTZ, I currently own, is fine for now. I wouldn't mind an extreme wide angle, but that would see limited use.

Clovishound

Well, I gave in to temptation today. B&H had their CFexpress Bs on sale for a decent amount off, and that clinched it. Now I just have to bide my time till Wednesday.

Clovishound

I'm not sure I feel like my Z5 was holding me back, but rather more that the capabilities of the Z7ii would be of use. I've been a little frustrated lately with the AF performance on moving subjects. And of course the extra resolution is most welcome.

Let us not forget the new camera smell. Actually, sometimes having a new toy to play with can help increase the excitement and interest in a hobby. And sometimes is just that "We wants it.", as Gollum says.

Most photographers tend to be equipment oriented, and I'm certainly not exception to that rule. Still, I'm of the opinion that the nut on the end of the shutter button is the most important thing in creating a good image.

BF Hammer

I'm not sure I feel like my Z5 was holding me back, but rather more that the capabilities of the Z7ii would be of use. I've been a little frustrated lately with the AF performance on moving subjects. And of course the extra resolution is most welcome.
See? holding you back! You are getting by with less, but you could be making much better. :)