Breaking down the assassination attempt photos

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Whether you are a Jared "Fro" Polin fan or not, he has posted an incredible video complementing the photojournalist's actions at this event. Really interesting to see how they reacted.

Clovishound

I thought about posting about the #1 photo, but didn't want it to descend into a political discussion. What immediately struck me when I first saw the photo was the similarities with another iconic photo that was intrinsically linked with our view of history. That would be the image of the raising of the flag over Iwo Jima. You have the pole on an angle, the flag, and a group of people all working together in a clump. It also has some of the same impact when viewed IMO. I have no doubt that this will go down in history as one of the iconic images in photography.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I thought about posting about the #1 photo, but didn't want it to descend into a political discussion.
Agreed. I intend for this to be a discussion on the skill and bravery of these photographers. I also appreciate Fro’s comments in their professionalism.

blackstar

#3 (the bullet) amazes me for using 1/18000 shutter speed with no sign of needing it before the shot (or the photographer was expecting the action?). * But I can't really see the bullet in that photo in the video. Can anyone point to the one that shows the bullet?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Take a look here - the photographer describes the image below (this is directly linked from the article).

pa-trump-61.jpg

BF Hammer

I had seen the "bullet" photo on Sunday and I admit I instantly wanted to know what camera took that photo. I agree with Jared Polin in that the one photo of the fist pump under the flag is going to win a Pulitzer, but the bullet photo is going to live on for the ages in a semi-morbid way similar to the Zapruder stills of the Kennedy shooting.

blackstar

It looks like the 1/18000" shutter speed still made a "long exposure" of the flying bullet. I wonder if it needs 1/100000" to freeze the bullet...

I think the bullet photo will be the best "Action photo" of the year or ever...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Definitely a compelling breakdown by Jared Polin pointing out details from these veteran photographers. I also agree the image Jared cited as most likely to receive a Pulitzer will be the one chosen. The video is definitely worthy to be watched.

Needa

Challenge Team
It looks like the 1/18000" shutter speed still made a "long exposure" of the flying bullet. I wonder if it needs 1/100000" to freeze the bullet...

I think the bullet photo will be the best "Action photo" of the year or ever...
Did some reading about photographing bullets and as you would expect the velocity would be a critical factor. I'm more curios about the rest of the exif data including the prior shots, had he been shooting at that SS all along.

Last edited:

Peter7100

Amazing capture, however (if I am allowed to ask this?), most people over here are asking how was he allowed to climb onto a roof so near to where everyone was located without security doing anything :unsure: