BIF & Tracking question

nickt

So when you say you use single point, Nick, are you able to keep your subject under the point? I've been struggling with that although I'm just starting out with BIF and BBF.
Its tough, that's why I am trying to play with the dynamic modes. I can usually keep the single point on the herons and geese, but no way with the smaller birds. I haven't done much bif at all so lots to learn.

Roy1961

Contributor
on my D7000 i used the single point, now on my D500 i switch from single to group, group i have set up to the FDN button.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Cindy, don't forget you can view the focus point that was used by turning that feature on in your camera's image review. Or see the points after downloading if you use Nikon software. I used my newly setup U2 Saturday with d9, af-c, focus priority and shutter button focus. I was out back trying to get a picture of some swans and a young eagle circled high overhead. I switched to u2 and fired off some shots. The shots were all not too bad. They could have been sharper, but not trash. The Nikon software showed me that my focus point missed almost every time. This could have been my bad panning or the speed of the d7100 to take the shot after achieving focus. I tried to keep the bird centered every time I pressed the shutter. Not always successful. Also 1/1250 was probably a little slow for a flapping bird with my 150-600mm. I tried on some seagulls too. I got several half gulls in great focus, lol. Hard to pan and keep them in the frame. I need to try higher than d9 and auto area and 3d. And play with menu a3, ugh.

View attachment 280618

View attachment 280620

Nick, I am sooo accustomed to focusing then recomposing (while in AF-S) that moving the focus point around in AF-C makes me fumble! :beguiled: I definitely need more practice to have it become second nature. I feel like I'm learning to drive a stick-shift. ;)

Thanks for the info about turning on the in-camera focus point. I will definitely look into that! :encouragement:

nickt

Nick, I am sooo accustomed to focusing then recomposing (while in AF-S) that moving the focus point around in AF-C makes me fumble! :beguiled: I definitely need more practice to have it become second nature. I feel like I'm learning to drive a stick-shift. ;)

Thanks for the info about turning on the in-camera focus point. I will definitely look into that! :encouragement:
Me too on moving the focus point, I could never do that on the fly. If I know I will be tracking a boat or something I'll jog it left or right first. But not good at moving it while actually shooting. That screen shot above is where d9 moved the final point to. As I understand it, you pick a starting point in the D's and the camera moves to a new point if the subject falls off. I picked center point in all those shots and the camera moved a bit as I fired.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I went out yesterday to work more with BBF. For some reason, the dynamic 9 wasn't tracking (even showed dynamic 9 in the top screen of the camera). It wasn't until I got home that I saw I had inadvertently switched out of AF-C and was in AF-A. :unconscious: Must have spun the wrong wheel at some point but now know what happens if I select the incorrect one! Still need to keep watch of my f/stop.

DSC_5682 low res.jpg

nickt

I went out yesterday to work more with BBF. For some reason, the dynamic 9 wasn't tracking (even showed dynamic 9 in the top screen of the camera). It wasn't until I got home that I saw I had inadvertently switched out of AF-C and was in AF-A. :unconscious: Must have spun the wrong wheel at some point but now know what happens if I select the incorrect one! Still need to keep watch of my f/stop.

I did the same thing yesterday! Took few horrible shots and found that I was in af-a. I don't know how that happened.

I'm rethinking my plan to jump to U1 for bif with shutter button af-c focus priority. After a couple of years getting thoroughly comfortable bbf, its a lot of confusion for my fingers to avoid leaning on the bb while trying to track a bird with shutter button focus. As I read up on this, many are successful with bbf, af-c, release priority. So I am going to try sticking with my bbf release priority setup for all shooting and just switch from single point to d9 or higher for bif.

Vixen

OK...what is BBF? please?

Edit... Doh!! Back Button Focus

For BIF I have U1 set as aperture priority, single point focus, AF-C. I set focus tracking in the menu and off I go using BBF (which is ALL I ever use now since setting BBF).... I can manage to track a bird and let the camera focus away. It does chew up battery tho

I didn't read all the posts ( to technical for me at this time of night)but this system seems to work for me...

Is this what you are talking about. I did get lost there after a few posts :D

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
OK...what is BBF? please?

Edit... Doh!! Back Button Focus

For BIF I have U1 set as aperture priority, single point focus, AF-C. I set focus tracking in the menu and off I go using BBF (which is ALL I ever use now since setting BBF).... I can manage to track a bird and let the camera focus away. It does chew up battery tho

I didn't read all the posts ( to technical for me at this time of night)but this system seems to work for me...

Is this what you are talking about. I did get lost there after a few posts :D

Yes, I was asking about the settings people use with BBF. But more specifically, what type of focus point(s) do they use. In the video posted earlier, Steve Perry talks about the different types of Auto Focus: single point AF, dynamic AF (usually at least 2 types of dynamic settings that involve more than 1 point), group AF, and 3D AF. If you aren't sure about the differences between them, watch the video to see examples of each one. Before trying all of them, I really expected I'd want 3D...that is until I actually used it. The focus point was flying all over my viewfinder. That particular setting works better when your subject has a background that is entirely different in contrast (such as a bird against a completely blue sky). Steve says 3D AF is better for sports, and after trying it out with wildlife, I can see why. The camera tried to use the trees in the background to be part of my subject--that caused the focus point to jump back and forth between all the trees and my subject.

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
For what it's worth, I commited to really trying Steve Perry's suggestion and I stuck with Group for almost all of my bird in fight shots a couple of days ago. I got a little higher hit rate than I normally do with Dynamic. I just have to remember to switch when I'm shooting birds on the trees or on the ground, or else the errant tree limb or blade of grass can grab focus away from the subject.