Best Wedding telephoto on a budget...

FastGlass

I read the Ops post all the way to the end , where he says that he's looking at 3 lenses. Would have helped to let him know which lens to rent, or even to rent all of them. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it came across kind of snobbish just to say "go rent it"
Blacktop, when I replied to the thread it was late for me and thought I would check out the forum one last time before heading to bed. Didn't really feel like writing a whole explanation as to what to do and why, so I made a quick comment. The reply by no means was meant to come across as being snobbish. Of course looking back at it now I can see your point and part of me agrees with you. I got into a word exchange a while back with Sparky480. Didn't mean to but things can get out of hand. Wish it hadn't happened but it did. I don't want that to happen between us so let's just forget it. Sorry if you got offended.

FastGlass

This is my first post, so firstly hello to all...

I am currently looking for a 2.8 200mm lens on a budget that will work on the D600 without issue...
basically I am photographing two friends weddings in a short space of time and want a telephoto with quick glass without having to sell the kids to raise the money!!!

i have a budget of £450 so the VR's are out of the question. I've looked at the nikon 80-200mm both 1 & 2 touch as well as the sigma 70-200mm hsm mark II... But I think I need some advice as the the best optically. So any input would be greatly appreciated!

thanks.
Tidyybrown the reply I gave was not meant to sound short or "you should know better". Just thought I would give a quick reply. No harm intended.

Blacktop

Blacktop, when I replied to the thread it was late for me and thought I would check out the forum one last time before heading to bed. Didn't really feel like writing a whole explanation as to what to do and why, so I made a quick comment. The reply by no means was meant to come across as being snobbish. Of course looking back at it now I can see your point and part of me agrees with you. I got into a word exchange a while back with Sparky480. Didn't mean to but things can get out of hand. Wish it hadn't happened but it did. I don't want that to happen between us so let's just forget it. Sorry if you got offended.

After re reading the OPs post again, I feel that I must apologize for jumping the gun.
I was thinking that the OP wanted to buy that lens to shoot these 2 weddings, and then keep it for other things .
Also he said that he had a limited budget. So when you said to rent one, I'm thinking that this will eat into his limited budget to purchase this lens.
Now I realize that what you were saying is just to rent one for the weddings, then forget about buying one.

Sorry ! It's all good .
!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The thing that bothers me with this request from the OP is that I have no clue as what other lenses he has. For me, the 70-200 would not be my top lens for a wedding. I would rather use the 24-70 and for head shots the 85 1.8. The 85-200 range would be nice, but I'm not so sure it's essential. I remember doing weddings with 3 primes and I did fine. So, IMHO, if money is a problem, getting a few primes would be a better investment.

FastGlass

Only problem I would have with a few primes is the having to change a lens to get the shot. My lens choice would be the 24-70 and 70-200 on diff bodies. But your right the 85 is an awesome portrait lens.

rsadick

Welcome Tidybrown, I use a Nikon D600 with a Sigma 70-200 2,8 and I did 2 weddings this summer. I think some pics on my page (Magnus Dickson Photography) are shot with that lens, but mostly I use a 24-70 2,8 from Nikon for weddings. However, with that budget you need to consider renting or look in to the used market.

BR
//Magnus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk