Best Ultra wide angle lens dx

Horoscope Fish

Because the Tokina has risen so much, it will be the Sigma 10-20mm and the Nikon 70-300 VR. These 2 should see me right with my 50mm 1.8 and still got the kit lens hopefully thats all the lenses I will need.
The Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon 50mm and 70-300mm would make an excellent lens arsenal.

foo

Already got the 50 , so thats my plan . Not sure I wont anything bigger than the 3oo mind.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

aroy

It may make financial sense to buy a wide range zoom, but not image quality sense. I suggest buy the lenses as and when required. A zoom at wide end is useful, but a zoom at long end looses sharpness hence quality. Beyond 100mm, primes are not only sharper but much faster, lighter and cheaper than equivalent zooms. Think of set of 85mm F1.8, 105mm F2.8, and 300mm F4 primes, rather than a zoom.

Bukitimah

http://

I have been considering an UWA lens. I now have a 17-50 f2.8 Tamron. It is a great lens but I thought a wider lens would be better. under low light, f2.8 comes in useful, otherwise, for general landscape you don't need it.

I was also considering switch to FF, therefore not sure if I want to spend $ on dx lenses now. So, I kept looking but did not make a move till now. Meantime, I stitch them. I think they look OK.

foo

Tokina 12 -28mm being released sometime in april -june in uk , this is a refresh of the 12 - 24mm lens . By all accounts it sounds excellent but at a price no doubt.

foo

Update to the Tokina 12 -28 mm seems its already available but at £535 at Amazon its too much for me , so there seems to be no alternative to the Sigma 10 - 20 mm especially at the price .
Plus not sure about the clutch ring on the tokina .
Much prefer a simple af/mf switch for manual auto focus duties .
I cant see beating that Sigma 10 - 20 mm for that price its a winner .:D

foo

Looking at nikons 10 - 24mm £40 more than tokina at Jessops but would be Uk stock , Amazon I believe all come from European continent such as Germany so would beca grey import.
Seller has to provide a warranty but stiil , would prefer to pay the extra for a UK stock with warranty.
Tokina is £599 and nikon £ 639.
Interesting
But Sigma is £ 300 cheaper bloody dilemma or what.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I think this one should be considered:

Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Wide-Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

You can get it refurbed for $749.00 at Adorama.

Sorry....forgot you are overseas......but I did find the refurb for $600 + change somewhere else. If you want the real deal, one of the new Trinity of Nikon lenses is the Nikor AFS 14-24 G/f2.8, but it goes for upwards of $1900.00. Considered one of the best lenses that Nikon makes.

Last edited:

skene

Foo with all of this indecisiveness have you once tried going to your local camera shop to try the lens out. If you keep nitpicking on price and base not what the lens can do for you then all of this is in vain.
Try out the lenses first then make a conclusion based on the results. Bring your camera with you so that you can take pictures of the surroundings then compare at home. It's truly better to have images that you can see vs going by what everyone has.

Horoscope Fish

If you keep nitpicking on price and base not what the lens can do for you then all of this is in vain.
True dat! ^^^^

Deciding what lens you need and then finding your best price for that lens? Joy!
Scraping a few bucks together and then trying to convince yourself you can get what you want? No Joy!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
This is one of those lens dilemma issue, meaning a new DSLR photographer needing more reach after the kit lens, then realizes that it is not wide enough, gets the ultra wide angle zoom lens; Then the 35 mm s1.8 g DX comes in which leads to the 50mm and or 85mm since they gather more light. Flash is added to the mix.

Now that you get a feel on what a fast glass can do, you start selling your kit lenses since they don't appeal to you that much anymore.

Then enters the faster zooms since you can't foot zoom all the time and changing lenses is a pain in the butt. So you want to consider the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC since the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX is too pricey.

After a while, your curiosity builds up and you'll start thinking of the Dxxx...to be continued.

Can anyone relate so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

This is one of those lens dilemma issue, meaning a new DSLR photographer needing more reach after the kit lens, then realizes that it is not wide enough, gets the ultra wide angle zoom lens; Then the 35 mm s1.8 g DX comes in which leads to the 50mm and or 85mm since they gather more light. Flash is added to the mix.

Now that you get a feel on what a fast glass can do, you start selling your kit lenses since they don't appeal to you that much anymore.

Then enters the faster zooms since you can't foot zoom all the time and changing lenses is a pain in the butt. So you want to consider the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC since the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX is too pricey.

After a while, your curiosity builds up and you'll start thinking of the Dxxx...to be continued.

Heh...

dragion

Relate...yes, I do!

I started out with the D3100 w/18-55mm kit lens.
Added the 55-200mm for the zoom.
Included SB-400 Speedlight flash.
Next was the 35mm f/1.8G.
A LowePro Adventura 170 to carry it all.
Enter the Meike Battery Grip & extra battery.
Hated the Nikon camera strap, so incomes CarrySpeed CS-3 Slingstrap.
Decided that the 18-55mm was too short and then got the 18-105mm.
The 70-300mm VR II was next.
Body upgrade to D7000 & Meike Battery Grip...still kept the D3100 as back-up.
Introduced the 50mm f/1.8D & 85mm f/1.8G.
Sold 18-55mm & 55-200mm.
Replaced SB-400 with Yongnuo YN-565EX SpeedLite.
Next came the Tokina 12-24 f/4 & 40mm Micro f/2.8.
Needed a larger bag...LowePro AW202.
Added another CarrySpeed CS-3.
Latest, but not last...Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8.

Plus all the Nikon NC, B+W, Hoya & Marumi filters for the lenses. :eek:

Pheww...that was a mouthful! :excitement:

...EDIT: Add another to this list:
Sigma 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That is pretty much a common path since we do not know how in-depth we will be involved with photography during the first Two or three years. :)

aroy

I sure am glad that I am dead broke now. So I can only fantasist of all that I should pick up, once I am more solvent!!!!!!!!! (Ha HA Ha)

dukatum

GAS....... :)

Has been a really interesting thread to read. I have spent the last few days looking over the vast range of wide angles for my D7000, and like what was previously said, the DX sensor is at a disadvantage here. Ideally I wouldn't buy a DX lens because one day my intention is to buy a FX camera, but when this is I don't know and eventually I'll just sell the one DX lens I have I guess.

I hadn't considered Tokina before, for some reason I thought they didn't have auto focus so stayed away, but I was wrong. Researching the Tokina 11-16 (Comparable DX Focal Length: 16.5 - 24 mm) that was mentioned near the start, this will be as close to ideal as I can get and in my price range. The f/2.8 is an important factor for me as I plan to take it with me to Nepal, and think it could be good for the small streets with incredible buildings (less space for light), and inside what I imagine might be fairly low light buildings. and then eventually when hiking I hope to make some nice landscapes.
Also I like the fact the Tokina has a 77mm Filter which is the same as 24-70 and 70-200 part of the trinity.

Would be interested in anyones thoughts if they have done similar destinations and if this lens is a good size for APS-C or maybe need to step up closer to 35mm?

EDIT: Oh Foo, try Panamoz for the lens. They'll be grey imports but offer their own warranty (basically send it back to manufacture themselves) and are the cheapest I ever found in UK before I moved. All my camera and lenses are from the likes of here or DigitalRev and never had a problem. Infact my D7000 had oil on the sensor and Nikon took it in and repaired it for free for me.

Last edited: