Best SD Card choice for D7100

DonnieZ

Looking to pick up some new SD cards for my newly acquired D7100. Right now I have a hodgepodge of sizes and speeds that I've acquired over the years - generally with an emphasis on price when buying.

I shoot raw, and tend to shoot all types of photos - lots of family stuff and some of my family members play sports - so I might be in "spray and pray" mode some of the time. I want cards that are going to give me the best chance to empty the buffer as quickly as possible while still being reliable. However, I don't want to pay for cards that have speed capabilities that the D7100 just can't handle.

This article at D7100.org seems to list the 95MB/sec cards as being the fastest the D7100 will be able to take advantage of, however the article is a bit dated. If I spend the extra coin on the new 150MB/sec cards will I see a benefit or is the camera only able to write at a certain speed? Given that this camera now has two SD slots, I'm going to take advantage and write raw to both. There seems to be a significant price difference between the 95MB/sec and the 150MB/sec cards and given I'd like to buy 4-8 of them it adds up.

Thanks for any advice!

carguy

Sandisk or Lexar. Faster the better, Class 10 for sure, especially if you plan to shoot video.
I use two Sandisk 32GB cards in my D7100. I keep two 16GB cards in the bag as spares. Always have spares.

Do not buy PNY.

Horoscope Fish

I use SanDisk Extreme Pro's and Samsung Pro's, both in 32GB flavor. The latter are less expensive and so nearly as fast as the SanDisk you'd need a computer to benchmark the difference.

And yeah... Definitely have AT LEAST one spare set at all times.

fmf

How are guy setting up your second SD card? Overflow or backup? I only have 1 32gb card and a bunch of 8gb ones, so I'm shooting raw to the 32gb one and jpg to the small one

RocketCowboy

How are guy setting up your second SD card? Overflow or backup? I only have 1 32gb card and a bunch of 8gb ones, so I'm shooting raw to the 32gb one and jpg to the small one

My second slot is backup. I'll typically use either the same size cards for both slots, or a smaller card in the first slot and a larger card in the second slot. When traveling on vacation, I'll use a 64GB card in the backup slot, remove the primary card daily, and keep backups on the laptop and external disk.