best lens

Browncoat

There is no best ______. In this case, lens. Ask 100 people this question, and you're likely to get at least 80 different answers. It largely depends on the subjects you typically shoot, budget, and personal preferences. What I do think though, is that there is an answer to the question: Which is the most versatile lens for the money. Or, where can you get the most bang for your buck?

Answer: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Weighing in @ around $130, it's hard to beat this as an all-purpose lens upgrade. Many photographers use it for portraits or just a "walking around" lens.

PROS:

• Lightweight
  • Very sharp image
  • Great in low light
  • Good background blur (bokeh)
CONS:

• Prime lens (no zoom, single focal length)
  • Plastic body
  • Autofocus can be slow

Greywoulf

My personal best lens right now is the special DX designed F1.8 35mm Nikkor. I love it's low light capabilities and the fact that it will auto-focus on my type of camera (D40). It's also got a pleasant bokeh, but best of all it's as sharp as a tack and converts on DX rigs to shoot at a 53mm focal length, which I'm much acquainted with from my earlier SLR film days!

Not bad at all, IMO, for around $200 new. -I think Nikon did us smaller DX DSLR lovers a good turn with this one!