Best lens for indoor portraits

Zeke_M

I've got an 85mm f1.8G lens, D3100 and a model that works cheap

Shot at 1/125 f2.8 with a Yongnuo 568 set at manual 1/2
2itlbw6.jpg

Same setup at f4
34946jo.jpg

Pulled the 24-120 f4 off my other camera and put it on the D3100 just for kicks.
Same settings 1/125 f4. Same flash settings. This image would work if the flash was cranked up a bit.
The 24-120 might be a good compromise especially if you have a decent flash. My 24-120 was $550 used.
2m32rux.jpg

robbins.photo

Ok.. whew.. smart money says walk away but.. here goes.

Distortion. First understand there are two different types involved, Perspective distortion and Optical distortion.

Perspective distortion depends on your distance from the subject. So yes, focal length comes into play.. sort of - a longer focal length will normally require you to stand further away from your subject, so it will impact perspective distortion in that way.

But even on a shorter focal length lens It is possible to compensate for this type of distortion by putting more distance between you and your subject, however this might also make it necessary for you to crop to get your desired FOV (field of view).

Optical distortion is a property of the lens itself. Wide angle lenses, for example, do have a tendency to show what is called barrel distortion. Straight lines will appear curved as a result, etc. Don't want to dive deep on this, just be aware that optical distortions are not the same as perspective distortion - but that both will impact the final results.

It's worth noting that the barrel distortion on a 35mm prime is more pronounced than it is on a 50mm - so it might require some additional software correction to compensate for - hence most peoples recommendation for the 50mm as opposed to the 35 for less distortion.

So, in essence both groups are correct. The sample pictures taken by various focal length lenses, for example - you see that the shorter focal lengths show much more perspective distortion because the photographer was changing his distance to the subject in order to keep his FOV (Field of view) the same. Closer distance, more distortion. You can compensate for this to a certain extent by getting further away, and if necessary cropping for desired FOV.

So, my recommendations:

Well for indoor shooting I actually prefer a fast zoom. My weapon of choice is a 28-75mm 2.8 from Tamron. On a crop sensor I'd probably look at something like a 17-50mm Sigma 2.8 with OS.

However, if your interested in primes, and shooting "candids" or "action" inside, yes, I'd go with the 50mm first. Less barrel distortion to deal with, and just keep in mind when possible back up and crop for desired FOV.

I will back up myself now, to give a proper amount of distance for the throwing of rotten vegetables... lol

Samo

On a crop sensor I'd probably look at something like a 17-50mm Sigma 2.8 with OS

Good suggestion. Grabs a lot of light. Preserves IQ. Gets the job done. Leaves money on the table for other stuff. Plus it would pair nicely with a 50-150 Sigma later on down the line. Two legs of a trinity!

Rotten tomatoes on the lens...ughh. Please no one tell me tomatoes are really fruits. :peach:

Last edited:

robbins.photo

Good suggestion. Grabs a lot of light. Preserves IQ. Gets the job done. Leaves money on the table for other stuff. Plus it would pair nicely with a 50-150 Sigma later on down the line. Two legs of a trinity!

Rotten tomatoes on the lens...ughh. Please no one tell me tomatoes are really fruits. :peach:

Granted everyone has there own methods/style.. But for me at least I think zooms have the edge when your dealing with candids, and situations that can change quickly where you don't always have time to adjust. The versatility really helps a ton in those types of situations.

Primes I think at least for me are better suited to situations where you have time to plan, adjust and if needed tweak.

Granted it's not mutually exclusive, I can shoot candids with a prime or sit down portrait with a zoom. But for me I think zooms make the best tool for one and primes for the other.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk