Best "hidden gem" inexpensive lenses for Nikon DSLR's?

Fortkentdad

50mm AFD 1.8 switch-DSC_0847-0001.jpg50mm AFD 1.8-DSC_0860-0002.jpg
Picked this gem up a month or so ago - spent all of $25 (CDN) for this one at a antique-collectable "Junk in the Trunk" shop. The owner Paul has a room full of vintage gear - anyone near Camrose Alberta needs to check it out if old gear is on your radar.

Shot my parrot and pup today - one small off camera flash was used for lighting.
Shot with my D610.

Super choice for a photographer on a budget or one who just likes old gear. I intend to play with this one with some of the old 52mm filters I have.

3mb DSC_2476+50mm AF Nikkor Pet Shoot -0001.jpg4mb Ruby DSC_2385+50mm AF Nikkor Pet Shoot -0038.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
View attachment 271765View attachment 271766
Picked this gem up a month or so ago - spent all of $25 (CDN) for this one at a antique-collectable "Junk in the Trunk" shop. The owner Paul has a room full of vintage gear - anyone near Camrose Alberta needs to check it out if old gear is on your radar.

Shot my parrot and pup today - one small off camera flash was used for lighting.
Shot with my D610.

Super choice for a photographer on a budget or one who just likes old gear. I intend to play with this one with some of the old 52mm filters I have.

View attachment 271767View attachment 271768
This is one of the sharpest lenses ever made.

gustafson

I went down this rabbithole a couple of years ago and acquired way too many vintage manual lenses. It is fun and addictive, but looking back, I wish I had rather invested time shooting with my kit lenses to find their limits and my interests.

Of the cheap lenses I have, the best value for me is the 55 f3.5 Micro, especially paired with a Pk-13 tube for extreme close-ups. The 75-150 f3.5 Series E is another sleeper, with useful focal lengths in the portrait range and a constant aperture in a compact package (watch out for loose zoom rings through). Both are generally available used for under $50, and should be relatively easy to resell if you need to.