Best Everyday lens

iamntxhunter

I say get the Sigma 17-50 VR f/2.8
Mine is really sharp and fast. For a 3rd party zoom I am very happy with it, really depends on what you shoot the most.

Mis Adam

I was lucky enough to catch the deal a while back with a New D7100 and the 18-140 lens. I love this lens and have not touched any of my others since. It is great for day trips. I just used it at a funeral recently and it proved to be the perfect addition to my setup. its fast clear and not too heavy like my 55-300.

kamaccord

Last week I purchased a the sigma 17-50mm f2.8 which was received in the mail 2 days ago. So far shooting indoors I love the fast and on point focus wide-open and the sharp images along with the out of focus backgrounds. In addition, the lens is well balanced with my D7000 and fits in my shoulder bag just as well as my 18=105. No larger bag was required. So far so good. However, the 18-105 is an awesome kit lens which I have no intentions of getting rid of.

Last edited:

Patrick M

I've just ordered the new 18-55 vr II. I'm on a trip to China soon, and the baggage weight allowance for internal flights is mean. Man, 5kg hand baggage! So I'm looking fwd to trying out this lens as a light alternative :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

crycocyon

Congrats on the upgrade to the D7100! My everyday lens is a 50mm f1.4 AF-S. For DX equivalent I would go with a 35mm f1.8 AF-S. I prefer primes over zooms and consider a standard lens a great all-around lens. In some ways they are more versatile than zooms because you also have better capability in lower light, are able to isolate subjects from a more out-of-focus background, and for most of the moderate range zooms out there, you have similar coverage simply by moving back or forth a few feet (or meters). :) Plus they are small and light-weight and often quicker in terms of AF capability than zooms. Anyway, that's my plug for a prime. ;)

Patrick M

Congrats on the upgrade to the D7100! My everyday lens is a 50mm f1.4 AF-S. For DX equivalent I would go with a 35mm f1.8 AF-S. I prefer primes over zooms and consider a standard lens a great all-around lens. In some ways they are more versatile than zooms because you also have better capability in lower light, are able to isolate subjects from a more out-of-focus background, and for most of the moderate range zooms out there, you have similar coverage simply by moving back or forth a few feet (or meters). :) Plus they are small and light-weight and often quicker in terms of AF capability than zooms. Anyway, that's my plug for a prime. ;)

I also have that 35mm f1.8 prime. Lovely little lens and just superb with the SB400 flash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Nero

I have a limited selection right now so mine would be my 18-55mm kit lens and sometimes my nifty-fifty lens.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I'd suggest saving for the Nikon 17-55 2.8...I was looking at refurbished or good condition used ones and was all set to get one until I fell in love with the 24-120 4. My thinking is lens last a lot longer and hold their value more then bodies. I will eventually upgrade to FF camera and I'll already have a decent lens collection...it really just depends on how you shoot and how you look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you repeat that about lenses holding their value longer than the bodies? Not enough photographers starting out realize that until it's too late and they have a ton of money invested in DX lenses.

ryanwphoto

Very good point there, this is my reasoning for buying the 17-55 over the 24-70:
1. I don't plan on buying a full frame body within 1-2 years,
2. The 17-55 fit my budget (I can't afford even a used 24-70 right now)
3. The wider angle of 17mm works better for me at this point.
4. My other two lenses are FX lenses so I would only have 1 lens to sell if/when I do upgrade bodies.

I would agree though to buy FX lenses if you can, because they also hold their resale value much better than a DX lens.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ryanwphoto

I've never actually played with one of those but I have heard from many people that they are excellent.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Geoffc

Could you repeat that about lenses holding their value longer than the bodies? Not enough photographers starting out realize that until it's too late and they have a ton of money invested in DX lenses.

Some people have no intention of going FX, my wife for example. She has a 7100 which is light, very capable and provides a better platform for wildlife than FX. The latest DX stuff has improved so much and it's cheaper to get a quality setup. I went FX before the 7100 was available, but still got one as well as it's better for certain tasks.

The point I'm making is that FX is not an upgrade or badge of honour for everyone, they just do different stuff well. I often need to check which body I used between my D800 and D7100 when reviewing images in Lightroom.

Pebbleheed

I don't intend to go full frame. I love my D7100 and I currently don't have a need for full frame at all.

Now if someone was to buy me a D4s as a gift I'd not say no, but other than that I'm happy on DX

sonicbuffalo_RIP

DX is fine....I loved my D5100 and now my D7100....heck, I think I'll keep my D7100 as a backup and to use on longer shots with the telephoto....but if I had to choose.....I might even contradict myself and say I'd keep the D7100 because of it's smaller footprint, and it can do wonderful closeups too! The D7100 is a great camera. I agree, it's what you plan to do with the camera, and it's nice having a choice.