Best editor software to learn on?

Bourbon Neat

Inexperienced and sampling here.

I have a JASC paint shop Pro from years ago and am comfortable in there, like the clone brush. Gimp is here but won't be for long. Tried 2 others that left real fast and don't remember their names, LOL. Corel Paint Shop Pro 7x is here but haven't got into it yet. LR 5 has been getting most of my attention and I like what Julianne Kost shows in her tutorials over at Adobe. Will be loading ACDC soon and maybe Picasa. As far as speed in Lightroom, no problem here that I can see, probably due to solid state drives and a very potent, recently built rig.

Try as many as ya have time to, no coin involved. The whole thing about subscription software has me baffled. Not exactly like having your phone turned off ya know.

Best of luck and have fun finding what suits you.

Fred Kingston

The software resides on your computer. When you use the software, it checks for a subscription and updates. If you cancel the service, it continues to check, but determines there's no subscription, and does not update the software. What's on your computer continues to operate...

Bourbon Neat

That might be a good enough deal for a pirate then. Get the whole ball of wax for 1 month fee and rock on. No doubt that would be a breach in the terms of service though. For some, it may turn out to be great. Thanks for the follow up.

J-see

That might be a good enough deal for a pirate then. Get the whole ball of wax for 1 month fee and rock on.

I doubt it will be that easy. ;) Maybe if you use it on an isolated system that has "time" frozen it might work but I'm sure there's something preventing the "one month pay - use until eternity" option.

Last edited:

Felisek

I'm with Horoscope Fish here. NIK tools on top of Photoshop (or Lightroom) is a perfect combination for me. There is a free one-month trial of NIK tools. I did it and nether looked back. They give me all I need and they have a very fast workflow too. I used to spend 30 minutes or so on a picture, tweaking it in PS. I can do the same and more in about 5 minutes with NIK tools.

NIK are a plugin, but I believe you can use them as standalone tools as well. They work standalone on my laptop, but perhaps they need PS to be installed, I don't know.

Oh, there is lots of tutorials for NIK tools.