best 35mm lens for d7100?

Hisma

Hi guys

I want to get a high quality 35mm lens for my new d7100. I am setting a budget of $1000, though I'd like to go a bit lower if I can. I figure I could get a nice quality lens in that price range.

What is the best?

I hear a lot of good things about sigma.

I am considering this one (new artist series lens):

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-340306-35mm-Nikon-Black/dp/B00A35X8ZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366966435&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+35mm+nikon

The only thing that scares me about that lens is the high amount of bokeh that people mention.

w
ould this lens be suitable for a daily driver? Anyone else have another good option in this price range? Let me know!!

Hisma

thanks!

do you think that lens fully leverages the IQ of the d7100? I don't wanna sell myself short, and I have read that the d7100 is not forgiving with "low quality" lenses.

I don't wanna spend more than necessary, but I do want a high quality fixed lens, as that is what I plan to use for most of my "daily" use.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
With your budget, I'd get a 35 1.8 and a 50 1.8. I'm not sure the difference of price for the 1.4s is worth that much to me anyway.

§am

I would say with your budget, maybe go for the 28mm & 50mm f/1.8G lenses - both FX lenses, and on your DX body will allow you to use the sweet spot of both lenses, and hopefully overcome any IQ worries you have.

AC016

Yep, go with the 35 1.8g. You can't go wrong with it, especially for $200. Just think of what you could get with the left over money from your budgeted $1000!!

crycocyon

Yes the 35 1.8 g is an outstanding lens and can certainly keep up with the sensor on the D7100.

That being said, I haven't checked the performance of the sigma but if it performs as impressive as it looks it might be worth considering. Keep in mind that part of having fast lens is that it will be sharper stopped down to smaller apertures than a lens of comparable maximum aperture. So it isn't just about low light capability and bokeh, although those are also a benefit because you don't want to have to be shooting 800 or higher ISO all the time.

Then, there is also the Zeiss 35mm f2:

Carl Zeiss Distagon T 35mm F 2 ZF for Nikon EXC 4047865400046 | eBay

Puzz1e

Banned
The Sigma 1.4 is meant to be brilliant. One important aspect to consider is whether you feel you will go full frame at some point in the future. The Sigma is superior in construction and gives an extra 2/3 of a stop, but is significantly larger and heavier. You can't really go wrong with the Nikon 1.8. Just be mindful of the FX vs DX situation.

Hisma

well, after reading the reviews and doing research, i couldn't pass up that sigma lens.

So, another $900 down lol

My last purchase will be a solid zoom lens. I plan to use the prime lens I just bought for 90% of my needs, but when a zoom lens is absolutely necessary, I feel I should have one on hand.

Any solid zoom lenses in the $200 range?

by the way, thank you for all of your suggestions, you have been very helpful :)

jwstl

well, after reading the reviews and doing research, i couldn't pass up that sigma lens.

So, another $900 down lol

My last purchase will be a solid zoom lens. I plan to use the prime lens I just bought for 90% of my needs, but when a zoom lens is absolutely necessary, I feel I should have one on hand.

Any solid zoom lenses in the $200 range?

by the way, thank you for all of your suggestions, you have been very helpful :)

I own quite a few quality lenses but none of them are better than the Sigma 35 1.4. Money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Patrick M

Welcome to the forum.

Since you are using a DX camera, why not try the $200 Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX lens.

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor Lens for DSLR Cameras - USA Warranty 2183

I have this lens and use it on my D7100 quite a lot for indoor portraits. It's a nice crisp lens, and well worth the money. I'm not a pro. I have read reviews of this vs the 50mm and the pros seem to prefer the far more expensive 50mm. It's down to personal choice I'd say if you're like me, a keen amateur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD