Benro GH3 / Manfrotto 393

Vincent

I worked with a Manfrotto 393 since quite some time and it works well with my 600mm and 500mm.
The only issue I have is that the correct way to mount the lens (I`m an engineer and the Manfrotto engineers explain how to mount the lens correctly, I do mount different lenses differently) is in the way of my red dot.

Recently I saw a Benro GH3 for sale second hand which was not being sold, so I offered a bid lower then what I gave to the Manfrotto 393 and to my surprise got it.

I`m super happy with both.

Manfrotto 393:
- I prefer the connection to Arca Swiss. Manfrotto does not follow the de facto standard, but it does offer something better. All the other mounts of Manfrotto (I have RC1, RC2, RC4) are largely inferior.
- it is simple in concept, it works
- you can not block it, you need to find tricks (I use velcro)
- it is big and heavy
- adjusting position is cumbersum

Benro GH3:
- you can completely disassemble it and assemble it easily (so called for travelling, but not convinced on weight)
- it is easy to adjust
- it can be blocked and has an extra security for avoiding up / down movement (it is really sturdy)=> the portability of my tripod improved such that I`m in doubt on my needs of for the next tripod
- for the left / right movement it is blocked or free movement, that is ok
- for the up / down movement you have one knob for blocked and free and a second for the resistance in the free position. On my 600mm the resistance knob has no effect. The movement is a bit stiff, like it should be according to me.
- it has the standard Arca Swiss (Wemberly foot on my 600mm) connection with screw lock. I have to block the head to be certain to mount safely and like Moose Peterson states, you have to double check after you attached it.
- it is big and heavy

P.S.: I mainly wrote this since I did find it difficult to find reviews on the Benro
I was wrong on my red dot requirement. Some pictures of all later.