Beginner DSLR Equipment Checklist

Vixen

Has anyone mentioned lens cap tethers? Very small, super cheap (like $5 for 10 of them on eBay) but such a useful little thing. While I mention this it is worth while also getting some cheap replacement lens caps also in case you do happen to lose one.

aroy

Have both 55-200 and 70-300.

Both are good.....the 70-300 VR is killer.

Local walmart had the D5200 kit cheap - cheaper then either of the D3xxx kits. Weird, some kind of clearance perhaps ?

D5200 kit is less than the D3300 kit even in India. D3300 has a better sensor and faster processor. D5200 has swivel screen and host of other features.

Last edited:

JohnFrench

Add a small notebook and pen/pencil to make a note about the photo if you need to, like location, etc. Oh, and a big can of fun. Enjoy your new camera.

SteveL54

Great advice from all, but one thing you are certainly going to need:
A second job to keep up with the GAS that you are about to get.
Resistance is futile. We all have it. Give in......

aroy

Add a small notebook and pen/pencil to make a note about the photo if you need to, like location, etc. Oh, and a big can of fun. Enjoy your new camera.

Or if it too much of a pain, get one of those inexpensive Digital Dictaphones, so that you can keep dictating the facts and feelings.

pk63015

Has anyone had a good or bad experience with tripods from 3 Legged Things ? I am looking at their New Model Punks VYV. It looks to be good, but no one near me carry's this brand so I cannot see hands on how they look or feel. The $200 price tag will not break the bank, so it may be in the running.

Horoscope Fish

Has anyone had a good or bad experience with tripods from 3 Legged Things ? I am looking at their New Model Punks VYV. It looks to be good, but no one near me carry's this brand so I cannot see hands on how they look or feel. The $200 price tag will not break the bank, so it may be in the running.
Can't speak to their tripods, but I have 3-Legged Thing AirHed 2 Ball Head and it's spectacular.