Before I Jump Off The Balcony ...

Sakkasie

... in sheer frustration, I have a question to ask. I hate asking questions. I'm taking a course and one of the projects is to take a photo illustrating "selective focus." So here is the picture I took today. This flower was in the shade (it was the only one I could find at the time) and it was a teeny bit windy. I was using my 35mm f/1.8 lens. EXIF data tells us that the exposure was 1/400, aperture was f/1.8 and the ISO was 200. I've got the blurring part down OK but the flower itself is definitely not sharp enough. Shutter speed not fast enough? Not enough light? Mercury gone retrograde? I have NO idea.

7207643926_c96fd4190d.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1542.JPG
    DSC_1542.JPG
    685.7 KB · Views: 245

pedroj

F1.8 was used which means only a small part of the flower would be sharp if there was no movement...

I always use AF-C with this setting your camera is constantly focusing which will help a little...

Try aperture priority at F5.6 this setting will have more of the flower in focus and if it's windy pick it and take the shot inside..

jcottone45

... in sheer frustration, I have a question to ask. I hate asking questions. I'm taking a course and one of the projects is to take a photo illustrating "selective focus." So here is the picture I took today. This flower was in the shade (it was the only one I could find at the time) and it was a teeny bit windy. I was using my 35mm f/1.8 lens. EXIF data tells us that the exposure was 1/400, aperture was f/1.8 and the ISO was 200. I've got the blurring part down OK but the flower itself is definitely not sharp enough. Shutter speed not fast enough? Not enough light? Mercury gone retrograde? I have NO idea.

View attachment 11215
I had the same thing happen to me only I never got the second chance because the rose fell off the bush before I could & it was in failing light.My suggestion is as pedroj said use F5.6 though I would stay in manual mode, I am probably wrong about the mode as soon as the rose buds again I will shoot it again, its been 2 years since.!!!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Flowers have so much depth that shooting them wide open with a fast lens is only feasible if the flower is not too close to the lens. Also, being monotone (one color only), it's difficult to show sharpness unless the light is hard enough.