Battery Grip

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I use a Nikon Battery Grip on my D800 and a Promaster 3rd Party on my D7100 - Although the Promaster is fine, it works, I have had no issues, it just feels cheap. The Nikon battery grip light years ahead in quality.

If you don't have the money the 3rd party will be ok. I would now only buy Nikon or not at all.

That pretty much summarized the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

480sparky

My recommendation is:

If you're a casual shooter, and don't mind the extra weight & size of a grip, then a 3rd-party one will most likely work just fine for you.

If you're a pro, and you're dragging your camera around every day, everywhere......... get the OEM grip.

DraganDL

There ARE a few real good 3rd party "clones". I had a luck to get me these for my cameras (D5100 and D7000)... For about 40% of the cost of the originals. Same I can state for batteries - no noticeable differences in everyday use...
I presume, the money IS the problem here (otherwise, you would not have been asking), so take my advice: spare some 50$ here and a few there and invest them in other pieces of gear...

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

I've got a Ziekos grip for my D800. Nary a problem when I use it, which is almost never. But it works with both Nikon and 3d party batteries when I've tested it.

STM

The MB-D10 I have for my D700 mimics the build quality of the camera. Within reason, I would not be hesitant to put the camera on a tripod and use the tripod socket on the grip because it is made of metal. Of course if the lens has its own tripod socket, like my 300mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4's do, then you should never use the socket on the camera or the grip. The third party ones I have looked at are essentially all plastic and honestly I would be hesitant to put them on a tripod with any lens longer than a 135mm. The 180mm f/2.8 is out of the question

ShaggyRS6

STM raises a good point. They do actually feel as though they might let you down. I will maybe take a couple of videos of them? Not sure if you will be able to tell build quality through the video though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ruidoso Bill

I have used Meike grips starting with my D200, D300, D700 & D800. I just ordered the Nikon MB-D12 for the D800 because the Meike got sloppy. Probably my fault locking it on a tripod with too heavy a lens (yes my lens has a mount) in a rush at a horse race and it was too heavy for the grip. It didn't brake but now feels loose and won't tighten up correctly. Like others have said a $350 grip for a $3,000 body is probably worth it.

Ruidoso Bill

Just an update, I got my MB-D12 and I really like it. It is way more quality than my 3rd party. Got it used off Amazon for $321 free shipping and it looks like new, not a scrape. One big difference besides the build quality is the buttons feel more like my D800 than my other grip.