Back Button Focus

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I use it with my Nikon cameras, but not so much with the Sony. It's button(s) aren't as convenient as the Nikons. It sets up perfectly with the D500. I plan on using it all the time on that camera.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Are you asking about Focus and Release Priorities? Because those settings are separate from BBF.

If you enable Focus Priority, the camera will take a picture only when focus lock has been achieved. Release Priority means the camera will fire the shutter when you press the shutter-release button even without having achieved focus lock. Most people use AF-C with Focus Priority set to Release, but that's not required.

Yes, I believe Focus and Release Priorities is what I mean. I know it is a separate setting than BBF, but at times it's been mentioned in conjunction with BBF. Thanks for the info.

RocketCowboy

I'm hooked on BBF, but my challenge now is anytime my wife picks up the camera...I have to remember how to switch it back for her...and then back to BBF for me again later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickt

It took me a long time to get used to bbf. I'd think I had it down pat and some opportunity would surprise me and I would forget to focus due to the confusion of the moment. Now it is second nature. I probably run my battery down more because my thumb falls on the button as I pick up the camera. I end up pressing the button a lot. I feel or hear the autofocus and that is my confirmation that the camera is on. Probably a bad habit, but I always remember to focus now. I messed up a number of pictures during the learning and I practiced a lot while watching tv, just randomly focusing on the tv screen. Just to give my fingers the muscle memory of associating putting the camera to my face and holding the bbf.

Generally you do want release priority for this technique to work to its fullest. There are people that don't want release priority but still like to use the back button. You don't get all the benefits that way (like focus-recompose), but if it works for someone, that's fine.
There is no choice on some models. I'll go through some things I learned. I know on the d7000, you need to set release priority or you can choose not to if you dont want the full deal. On the d7200, you get release priority whenever you set the button to af-on regardless of what the autofocus menu is set to. I think the d7100 also forces release priority with bb set, but not 100% sure without trying it.

The d7200 also has a new setting to add confusion. Menu a4, autofocus activation. On the d7200, you have to take the additional step of turning this off or both the bb and the shutter button will cause focus. Check your menus for something similar or just test that the shutter button does not focus.
I use single point, but just yesterday I set to d9 to see what happens for awhile. Seems no different on stationary birds. The jury is still out on if it helps or hurts with bif. You can lock the single point somewhere if you like and bbf still works the same.

Another menu to think about if you have it is a3 (on d7200) 'focus track with lock on'. This is worth testing to see what you need since with bbf you are always in af-c. Basically, it puts a delay on continuous focus. Say you are panning on a runner and you pan across a flag pole. Does the camera stay with the runner or does focus jump to the flag pole? A3 decides. Think small subject with distractions behind it. If you fall off target, do you want the camera to jump to the background instantly or wait a brief instant, keeping focus on the original subject? Think of the reverse situation. Say you accidentally focus on the distracted background, do you want the camera to jump instantly to the subject when you get back on target or do you want a slight delay? No correct answer, it depends on how you aim and release. This all assumes holding down the bbf the whole time. If the subject is stationary, you might not be holding the button full time and instead giving brief shot of focus and then releasing the button.

nickt

I'm hooked on BBF, but my challenge now is anytime my wife picks up the camera...I have to remember how to switch it back for her...and then back to BBF for me again later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know if you have u1/u2 or similar memory on your models, but thats what I use one of my user settings for, handing the camera to someone not familiar with bbf.

TL Robinson

I won't use anything but BBF now - when I first tried it I actually didn't like it but I forced myself to use it and now won't do it any other way...it's funny now because if I show people how to do various things on their Nikons, I end up fumbling about a bit because I'm so used to it now...