Autumn Colours

AJV

Love the colors! But I'm curious: why did you choose to shoot this at f/22?

Funny you should ask, my friend.
I asked myself this exact same question while sifting through my archives to select this image, today.
And the only honest answer I can give is.........inexperience. I was so concerned about having everything in sharp focus, I went way overboard. In hindsight, I should have used something closer to f/5.6 or f8 and lowered the ISO, for a cleaner image. I know a bit more about difraction at high f numbers now, than I did 6 years ago.
I guess I'm lucky the image came out as sharp as it did considering the diffraction that could have occurred at f/22.
Great question !!!

Last edited:

Dangerspouse

Funny you should ask, my friend.
I asked myself this exact same question while sifting through my archives to select this image, today.
And the only honest answer I can give is.........inexperience. I was so concerned about having everything in sharp focus, I went way overboard. In hindsight, I should have used something closer to f/5.6 or f8 and lowered the ISO, for a cleaner image. I know a bit more about difraction at high f numbers now, than I did 6 years ago.
I guess I'm lucky the image came out as sharp as it did considering the diffraction that could have occurred at f/22.
Great question !!!

Haha! I don't think I've ever looked at a single one of my photos and not thought, "Y'know, in retrospect...." Welcome to the club :)

Hey listen, just an fyi. When you "Reply With Quote", make sure you include the full first portion that is included in the brackets. That has the person's name in it, and including it will alert that person that they have a message (ie: in my reply the bracketed portion reads, "QUOTE=AJV;xxx" - yours will read "QUOTE=DANGERSPOUSE;xxx). With no alert, the person may not realize you've responded. If you're looking for an answer to a question, you might think they're ignoring you when in fact they just are not aware you're asking them :)

AJV

Haha! I don't think I've ever looked at a single one of my photos and not thought, "Y'know, in retrospect...." Welcome to the club :)

Hey listen, just an fyi. When you "Reply With Quote", make sure you include the full first portion that is included in the brackets. That has the person's name in it, and including it will alert that person that they have a message (ie: in my reply the bracketed portion reads, "QUOTE=AJV;xxx" - yours will read "QUOTE=DANGERSPOUSE;xxx). With no alert, the person may not realize you've responded. If you're looking for an answer to a question, you might think they're ignoring you when in fact they just are not aware you're asking them :)

Got it !!!
Thanks for the "reply with quote" tip. Can you tell I don't do this very often? ;)

I'm trying to shoot more in Manual mode with Auto-ISO lately, to help raise my level of awareness of exposure parameters.
BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what is your normal upper limit of acceptable ISO with your D500?
I'm using 8000 as the Auto-ISO upper limit, with my new D500, but thinking of dropping it to 4000.

Dangerspouse

Got it !!!

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what is your normal upper limit of acceptable ISO with your D500?
I'm using 8000 as the Auto-ISO upper limit, with my new D500, but thinking of dropping it to 4000.

I may be the least qualified of the D500 owners here to ask, as I've had mine the least amount of time at just a couple of months. I'm still getting used to its capabilities. I'd ask wev or Woody here for their thoughts. They are fantastic photographers both, and both use their D500's to great effect. Their advice will be solid.

For what it's worth, when I shoot Auto-ISO (which is often when I'm outdoors) I set my upper limit in the 15k range. Any unwanted noise at that level is pretty easily dealt with in PP I've found - or I just leave it and say "it's for dramatic effect" ;)

AJV

I may be the least qualified of the D500 owners here to ask, as I've had mine the least amount of time at just a couple of months. I'm still getting used to its capabilities. I'd ask wev or Woody here for their thoughts. They are fantastic photographers both, and both use their D500's to great effect. Their advice will be solid.

For what it's worth, when I shoot Auto-ISO (which is often when I'm outdoors) I set my upper limit in the 15k range. Any unwanted noise at that level is pretty easily dealt with in PP I've found - or I just leave it and say "it's for dramatic effect" ;)

I'm only one month into my D500 ownership, so in my book, that makes you a seasoned expert !!! ;)
I applaud your humility and thanks for sharing your ISO experience so far, with your D500.

And thanks for the recommendation on who to seek out for D500 advice.

kevy73

Did a shoot for a magazine a couple of months back and there was 1 particular tree which had gone beautifully yellow... shot with the 200mm f2 from a distance or with the 85mm, you can see a little more detail, but get nice and close for a bust crop portrait with the 200mm and it almost looks like fairy lights...

arshuter

Z07_1006.jpg(2).jpg Just playin' with colors and the lens.