Auto ISO

aroy

I also use Auto ISO when I am shooting insects & birds without flash. For other subjects it is generally ISO 100 for daylight and 400 for indoors.

I decided to play with the Auto minimum shutter speed setting in the AUTO ISO. This is using the center setting on the slider since I thought that was a good place to start. I am using a DX camera since I am thinking it might make a difference. I shot the photos fixed on the same distant subject on a very overcast day so some of the variations are due to what was in the shot but I think the numbers show pretty good what is happening.

Auto ISO.JPG

TieuNgao

Hi Don,
In your last example, focal length is equivalent to 450mm FX, and the camera automatically set the speed at 1/500 and ISO800, which is fine. But if the lens has VR I'd feel comfortable to lower the speed to 1/250 or even 1/125. By doing so the ISO would, instead of 800, become 400 or 200, respectively. I think that will improve the IQ, assuming the VR can take care of the camera shake.
Just an idea...

Hi Don,
In your last example, focal length is equivalent to 450mm FX, and the camera automatically set the speed at 1/500 and ISO800, which is fine. But if the lens has VR I'd feel comfortable to lower the speed to 1/250 or even 1/125. By doing so the ISO would, instead of 800, become 400 or 200, respectively. I think that will improve the IQ, assuming the VR can take care of the camera shake.
Just an idea...

I am not a fan of VR. I guess I am to old school and had rather shoot faster and leave it turned off. But that is just me.

mikew_RIP

I decided to play with the Auto minimum shutter speed setting in the AUTO ISO. This is using the center setting on the slider since I thought that was a good place to start. I am using a DX camera since I am thinking it might make a difference. I shot the photos fixed on the same distant subject on a very overcast day so some of the variations are due to what was in the shot but I think the numbers show pretty good what is happening.

View attachment 150418

Thanks for taking the time to do that Don.

Blacktop

Auto ISO? No thanks. Thats like telling a 5 year old that he can have ice-cream anytime the temperature hits a certain point.;)

Sometimes it's amazing how much one learns in a few months. A few months ago I actually believed what I quoted above.. Now it sounds embarrassingly dumb.:(