Auto focus not working on d3200

Rod

Hi iv got the nikon d3200 and iv been doing a photography course with it and learnt all all about shutter speeds and appeture etc. I had the standard 18to 55ml lens then got the 55 to 200 lens for Xmas. Last night on my course I had the 200ml lens on and we were looking at lighting in the studio. All of a sudden the lens just stopped auto focusing it was just taking blurred pictures. But when I put the lens on manual I could manually focus it. The tutor on the course had a look too and said he didn't know why it was doing it but it was just not registering auto focus with the lens. I thought it may be the lens so when I got home I put my 18 to 55 ml lens on but it was doing the same thing. On auto focus on the lens it just takes the photo whether in focus or not. It's not doing that where u press the shutter half it goes into focus and you can hear it changing. It just takes anything you point it at. I'm assuming with it being on both lens this must be a problem with my camera and I don't know what to do about it. I only got the camera in November. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

Unfortunatly I have the same problem, it seems to be inherent to the d3200. My daughter had the same camera and also had the same problem, she took hers back and got a new camera body (eventually) I bought mine in Spain so taking it back is not an option. I do not believe there is a quick fix so if you can take it to e shop you bought it from and insist they repair or change it. Sorry for the bad news

olegeiser

My solution with dealing with the woefully inadequate dodgy focus system that cannot be relied on when sharp focus is required is:
Switch to live view
Zoom in on the desired object you want the sharpest
Manually adjust focus
Press shutter release or switch back to viewfinder and press shutter release.

ilse

Hi I'm having an issue similar to this. My D3200 take picture and they look okay at the time but when I look back on them they don't look as clear. I have done everything that people suggested in this forum and nothing. My camera will focus but never to the point where it'll turn green telling me it is entirely focused in the viewfinder when I switch to live view it seems to focus better and the little square with turn green as opposed to in the view finder where it'll always stay red no matter what. Can someone please help? Did I move something without knowing? The rangefinder is on.

mallrat

I did the factory reset both in Auto and Auto Guide. I turned range finder On. Now in both, I get the beep and pic in focus. Thanks to all for the tips.

LAineyp2005

Thanks for this info my wife was having the same problem and this was the fix, i think she had set it to infinity mode for the aurora - which could explain the change in rangefinder settings..

Lawrence

For a factory reset press the two green buttons on the body of the camera simultaneously. Not sure exactly where they are on the D3200 but look around and you will find tw buttons that have a green dot next to them.

Alternatively go into the menu and select reset factory settings.

However this will not fix focusing issues if the focusing motor is the problem.

good luck

Horoscope Fish

Since the D3200 does not have a Two-Green-Buttons reset, you'll need to do the following:

• Press the Menu button.
  • Select the “Shooting Menu
  • Scroll through the options until 'Reset Shooting Options' is highlighted.
  • Press OK.
  • Highlight 'Yes' and press OK again.
  • Go to the the “Setup Menu”.
  • Scroll through the options until 'Reset Shooting Options' is highlighted.
  • Press OK.
  • Highlight 'Yes' and press OK again.

pk63015

​I want to Thank Everyone on this Forum & Thread. About 4 months ago my D3200 Autofocus quit also. I did not have the money to send it in for repair ( let alone but a different body ) but I reset mine tonight and now the autofocus is again operational. Thank You everyone