Arti (Aspect Ratio Tool for Images) FREEWARE

paul_b

Hi, I've just had this brand new software written for me. It's a small application that lists aspect ratios for images. Exact ratios are listed in addition to a nearest match ratio based on a configurable preset list. I asked for it to be written so that i could check that a folder of finished exported images all had the correct cropping aspect ratio before printing or delivering.

Would anybody else here find it really useful and care to comment on it too? It's version 1.0.0 and so open to suggestions for improvements by real life users.

main.png

Skwire Empire » Arti (Aspect Ratio Tool for Images)

paul_b

No, the idea is for exported images (jpegs, tiffs etc) that have been developed & exported, and are ready for printing or delivering.

480sparky

By the time I export 'em, they're already sized to what's required. So if I need an 8x10, I crop it to a 1.25 or 0.80 aspect ratio, then export. I can't see the advantage of this.

paul_b

Ok, 2 scenarios:

1) Suppose you have just developed a photo shoot in your RAW software, and you've cropped & exported them all. There are times when you may of forgotten to crop an image or 2, or even chosen the wrong aspect ratio by mistake for an image or 2.
2) You have a folder full of exported images (say family photos etc), and you want to print them. They are a folder of different cropped aspect ratios, and so you need to sort them before printing at their sizes.

This program will allow you to 1) analyse the contents of the folder, & 2) even copy selected files of a certain aspect ratio to a new folder

WayneF

Would anybody else here find it really useful and care to comment on it too? It's version 1.0.0 and so open to suggestions for improvements by real life users.

Sorry, but I think it is entirely pointless. Details are getting in the way of the point.

Generally we want aspect ratio to fit the size of the paper we are printing the image on. We generally try to print at 300 dpi. To print 8x10, we do want 2400x3000 pixels. To print 4x6 is 1200x1800 pixels. But it requires a human brain to LOOK at the image, and decide the best way to adjust the crop box. If you don't care, and just send it for printing anyway, the automatic machine will make it fit the paper, perhaps with a few heads missing or something, but 6x4 will always come out 6x4. :) The point is too LOOK first.

If we use Adobe software (Elements, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc), we already have easy tools to make this be a trivial operation (perhaps a few others have it too?)

Simply set the marquee selection box to the ratio 3:2. Then any crop box you mark, of any size, will be 3:2 shape. Crop it how you want it to look. Then resample it to 1800x1200 pixels (or resample to 4x6 inches at 300 dpi).

Cropping 4:3 to print 2:3 is trivial. Just add the crop box at 2:3, and slide it up or down to better center the subject.
Cropping 3:2 to print 6x4 is trivial. Just add the crop box at 2:3, and slide it towards either end to better center the subject.
You may want to make the crop even a bit smaller, to improve composition, remove blank border areas, etc.

Then resample to 1800x1200. Often this is a batch operation. In Photoshop Scripts, you specify Fit To 1800x1800, and then either portrait or landscape oriented images come out perfect at 1800x1200, or 1200x1800. Couldn't be easier.

There is also another Crop tool too, similar operation, but I find the standard marquee box easier. If not careful, some smaller cases (already smaller) will allow enlargement, in which case it would be better to print the pixels you have at a lower resolution.

Image Resize - Cropping, Resampling, Scaling describes this.

paul_b

Hi Wayne.

I can only assume that you can't see why i asked for the software to be written in the 1st place, but for me its really useful.

Many times, i print out my latest photos. When editing I crop them all to 7x5 size ready for printing (I use Lightroom). However, sometimes whilst editing my photos, i forget to crop 1 or 2 (or crop them to the wrong aspect ratio). The result is 1 or 2 that no longer print out properly at 7x5.

The utility was designed simply for me to check & make sure that all my exported photos are the correct aspect ratio that i want them all to be. I'm sure it would also come in handy too, if a pro-photographer wanted to make sure he had remembered to crop ALL of his photos before passing them on to a client.

I'm sure there are other uses for the program too (that i probably don't know about).

WayneF

Hi Wayne.

I can only assume that you can't see why i asked for the software to be written in the 1st place, but for me its really useful.

Many times, i print out my latest photos. When editing I crop them all to 7x5 size ready for printing (I use Lightroom). However, sometimes whilst editing my photos, i forget to crop 1 or 2 (or crop them to the wrong aspect ratio). The result is 1 or 2 that no longer print out properly at 7x5.

The utility was designed simply for me to check & make sure that all my exported photos are the correct aspect ratio that i want them all to be. I'm sure it would also come in handy too, if a pro-photographer wanted to make sure he had remembered to crop ALL of his photos before passing them on to a client.

I'm sure there are other uses for the program too (that i probably don't know about).

Sorry, I have my own other methods I guess.

It ignores raw .NEF files. But of course raw files are not in a processed output folder.

You're saying it is just a check, to tell you if you missed cropping one. That happens, but if 5x7, we know they should be 1500x2100 pixels, which is what I look at, seems the important thing.

But there is more too. Not sure about Elements, but Lightroom and PS Bridge will do a similar check too. It likes to count all manner of things, how many at which focal length, or at which ISO, etc, etc. One such thing is Aspect Ratio, and it will count of all the images in the folder, not as individual files, but tells N number is 3:2, and N2 number is 5:7, etc. It counts whatever is there. This if done in the output folder tells if you missed some (still 3:2 or 4:3), and their shape is recognizable in the thumbnails (different than the others). Seems more than enough.

But we all have different ways of doing things.

paul_b

Wayne, i hope i'm wrong, but i can't find a way of searching or displaying aspect ratio values in Lightroom (other than simply being told if the image is landscape or portrait).

P.s Lightroom 4.4

paul_b

Yep, i've tried that in Lightroom and all it does is list if the image/s are landscape or portait.

I dont have Photoshop (never felt the need) and so i dont know what it can or can't do in regards to listing aspect ratios.

Perhaps Arti would come in handy for Lightroom users (but not Photoshop users)?

WayneF

I don't have Lightroom, but I strongly suspect you are looking at Orientation instead of Aspect Ratio.

Here it is is PS Bridge.

aspec.jpg

It counts all the ratios it finds in the folder. If you click the line (that says 2:3 or 5:7), it shows you only those files.

WayneF

Except you say it is reporting Orientation? So something seems rather wrong. I cannot see your image very clearly, it does not expand.

I just assumed Lightroom and PS were the same on this too, but sorry, I don't have Lightroom to know the details.

paul_b

No, we have crossed wires i think. I'm sure i never mentioned anything about an orientation option. The only thing Lightroom 4 has an option for is 'aspect ratio', and if it's choosen then the only 2 things it displays for values are either 1) Landscape, or 2) Portrait, but no numerical values.

That's why i asked for Arti to be written for me.

WayneF

No, we have crossed wires i think. I'm sure i never mentioned anything about an orientation option. The only thing Lightroom 4 has an option for is 'aspect ratio', and if it's choosen then the only 2 things it displays for values are either 1) Landscape, or 2) Portrait, but no numerical values.

That's why i asked for Arti to be written for me.

Look at my Bridge image again. Click it to make it larger, readable.

At left (under Filters), it is showing Orientation, which is Landscape and Portrait orientation.

It is also showing Aspect Ratio, which is 3:2 and 5:7 Aspect Ratio.

Different things. You said before all you saw was Landscape and Portrait, which is Orientation. I'm thinking you have not found Aspect Ratio yet, but I don't have Lightroom, and cannot guide you, but my guess is that it is there.

paul_b

Yep. I think the bridge and Lightroom methods are different. In Lightroom you have filters you can choose from. One of those is 'aspect ratio' (there is not a filter called orientation). As far as i can tell, the difference between lightroom and bridge is when you choose the 'aspect ratio' filter in lightroom it filters the results into only 2 possible values, either 'landscape' or 'portrait'. There are no additional numerical values displayed ie no 3:2 or 4:3 etc (unless I'm seriously doing something wrong (which I doubt)).