Anyone having trouble with checkerboard artifacts in the backgrounds with Topaz AI?

Clovishound

Since I started using Topaz AI, as opposed to using the separate programs, I've occasionally noticed these weird artifacts in the backgrounds. They are most notable in dark backgrounds that are then lightened in LR. The artifacts are visible in the output file from Topaz.

Here is a recent example.

I played around with a few variables, and found that this disappeared when I forced denoise off. I haven't loaded Denoise stand alone on my new computer, perhaps I should and see if it does the same thing.

_DAB7087-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

Clovishound

It's an HP with an I7 processor and 16 gigs of RAM. I've been updating it regularly, so I'm sure it's the latest version. I was loading the latest update tonight, and had some issues, so I uninstalled it and am reloading it right now.

What's the issue with the known problem. Is that a bug they are working on but haven't fixed yet? I've done a few searches, but haven't seen much about it.

Fred Kingston

Just for reference... When Topaz releases a new version, they create a NEW thread for that version in their user forums, so that issues with that version are in one place... The down-side is that after a while that thread just dies off... unless someone rants in the newer version thread about the same problem.

Also, like this forum, it's a user-to-user forum. You won't get tech support from Nikon here nor from Topaz there, and they don't monitor it on a regular basis... so if you have a specific tech issue, you need to use Topaz' main site for that.

Clovishound

Thanks, Fred. I read the first article that popped up. It was from Apr of last year. The representative from Topaz said they were working on it and hoped to have a fix by the end of the quarter. :rolleyes:

The work around they suggested did not work for me. This was to convert it to another format and then process it through Topaz. I used a TIF file. Next, I guess I need to install the separate programs of denoise and sharpen and see if they leave a clean image.

I think I will contact Topaz customer support and see what they say. It can be rather subtle sometimes, but once you notice it in an image, you can't look at it without it glaring out at you. I went back and looked at several older images that had been run through Topaz and discovered this faint pattern. I guess I should see if any of those were run through the stand alone programs.

And, yes, I have the 2.3.1 version.

Fred Kingston

Yeah...The one fix was relative to Macs, by turning OFF the neural engine in the settings. That doesn't seem to resolve the issue with Windoze machines. It's been a vexing problem for some. I seem to be immune with my M1 Mac... It's a problem in how AI operates, so rather than simply "changing" the process, Topaz's method has been to try to "minimize" the issue rather than outright change it.

Clovishound

Well, I sent them a description of the issue, and the sample photo. I'll report back with what they say. I hope I can fix this. I really like Topaz, but find the artifacts rather annoying.

Fred Kingston

Well, I sent them a description of the issue, and the sample photo. I'll report back with what they say. I hope I can fix this. I really like Topaz, but find the artifacts rather annoying.
Be sure to run the log files in the help menu with regard to your system specs. and send that too... otherwise they'll just delay by asking you for it...

Clovishound

I haven't forgotten to report back. I still haven't gotten an answer from Topaz. They emailed me very quickly after my initial contact and requested the original file, a screen shot of the settings in Photo AI during the processing, and the processed photo file. I sent the files back to them, but haven't heard anything yet. I'll give them a couple more days before asking what's up.

Clovishound

The original file is approx 25 MB. I don't think I can send that size file via e-mail. I tried doing that once before and the system wouldn't let me. I just tried it, and it balked.

I sent the unedited original converted to JPG. I ran it through Photo AI and saw the artifact in the preview.

Thanks

blackstar

I received your original jpg. It looks like no artifact at all after Topaz DN AI. I ran your original large-size file and found no issue, but couldn't screenshot the whole image. I downsized in Photo AI (0.2x) and ran DN, no issue (pic1). I scaled large-size in Gimp and ran DN AI to see no artifact (pic2), then I ran sharpening in Photo AI it got better, and no artifact still (pic 3).

pic1
_DAB7087T.png

pic2
_DAB7087sT1.png

pic3
_DAB7087sT2.png

Clovishound

The Pup has had the same issue using Photo AI on her PC. Same brand, not sure if the graphics processor is the same. They were purchased a year and a half apart. I also had the issue with my old computer, different brand.

Clovishound

No, that's just trying to bring up severely underexposed shadows. If you look at the image in my original post at the top of the page, you will see a faint square pattern throughout the entire background, and a very noticeable set of square around the flowers.

FYI, I am not trying to fix a mediocre image here. This is just something I noticed when working with a photo that I wanted to see if it had any potential. Again, I have noticed this same issue to varying degrees in other images processed through Photo AI and decided it was time to address the situation. It is most common in out of focus backgrounds, particularly dark ones. I get those kinds of backgrounds with some frequency when shooting macro with flash, as I was in this one.

blackstar

No, that's just trying to bring up severely underexposed shadows. If you look at the image in my original post at the top of the page, you will see a faint square pattern throughout the entire background, and a very noticeable set of square around the flowers.

FYI, I am not trying to fix a mediocre image here. This is just something I noticed when working with a photo that I wanted to see if it had any potential. Again, I have noticed this same issue to varying degrees in other images processed through Photo AI and decided it was time to address the situation. It is most common in out of focus backgrounds, particularly dark ones. I get those kinds of backgrounds with some frequency when shooting macro with flash, as I was in this one.
Too bad. It sounds like you have an old GPU in your computer which isn't powerful enough to support the Topaz AI engine. (NVDA makes the most advanced GPU chips for supporting high-end AI applications today -- BNM you need NVDA GPU.)

Clovishound

Well, I have an Iris XE integrated graphics. It's not a high end gaming graphics, but it's supposed to be fairly capable, and isn't that old. I'm running an 11th generation i7 processor, and the machine was purchased new a few months ago.

I just looked at the system requirements, and it says for Intel, UHD 600 or higher. The Iris XE is newer than the UHD 600, and the articles I read on it, it performed better than the UHD 600. So it sure sounds like it should meet Topaz's system requirements, as does OS, processor, and RAM.

I guess at this point I should go ahead and download the individual programs and try running them to see if the issue is the integrated Photo AI program vs Denoise and Sharpen.