Anyone else buy US Silver coins?

silvercreek

I buy US Silver coins and Silver value per ounce has increased more than $10 an ounce in the last 3 weeks. It certainly doesn't hurt my feels. Problem is, I can't get it all sold off quickly enough the make any money. I hope it keep increasing in value.

Just-Clayton

I do metal detecting. So I ended up trading in my silver last year. It wasn't much, some where around $150. I dug up six half dollars and kept one for keepsake. A handfull of dimes also. I found other silver items that was added to the value also. I need to get out there and get some more. Most jewlers here take 20%.

silvercreek

I do metal detecting. So I ended up trading in my silver last year. It wasn't much, some where around $150. I dug up six half dollars and kept one for keepsake. A handful of dimes also. I found other silver items that was added to the value also. I need to get out there and get some more. Most jewelers here take 20%.

I do metal detecting as well. I've been doing it for 20 years or so. Mostly artifacts and a few coins here and there. I recently found a 1854 half dollar.

silvercreek

I do metal detecting. So I ended up trading in my silver last year. It wasn't much, some where around $150. I dug up six half dollars and kept one for keepsake. A handful of dimes also. I found other silver items that was added to the value also. I need to get out there and get some more. Most jewelers here take 20%.

I do metal detecting as well. I've been doing it for 20 years or so. Mostly artifacts and a few coins here and there. I recently found a 1854 half dollar.

US Silver Eagles are easy to sell. Here's a link to real time prices.

Live Gold Prices - Gold Price - Silver Prices - Price of Silver and Gold

Thanks! I have several websites that list current Silver prices. It has been going up noticeably for the past few days.

When I owned a couple of one hour labs it was great. The by product of developing is silver. I would get 150 ounces of 99.9 each time I cleaned out the machine. I would some in 1 oz coins to give to employees and the bulk in 10 oz bars for me.

Knave

My Father-in-law before he passed gave my daughter a coffee tin full of Mercury dimes. All the dimes are in worn shape and there aren't any that are really worth anything. She's had this tin for about 10 years now. Hmmmm.....wonder if they're worth anything now, silver-wise?

TedG954

My Father-in-law before he passed gave my daughter a coffee tin full of Mercury dimes. All the dimes are in worn shape and there aren't any that are really worth anything. She's had this tin for about 10 years now. Hmmmm.....wonder if they're worth anything now, silver-wise?

At this very moment, scrap silver is at $35.64. Your dimes are 90% silver. Weigh them and multiply by .9. Multiply that by the current price ($35.64). I would check each and every dime to be sure you're not scrapping a coin with numismatic value. Also, ebay is a good resource for what things really sell for. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Knave

Is that quote of $35.64 per ounce? There must be 20 lbs worth of dimes in that tin (it's the big size of coffee tin). Be right back. Daddy needs a new camera......

silvercreek

This is only what I have at home. It's about 10% of that in my bank security vault. I love those old Morgan, Peace and Silver Eagle bullion coins.

P6180001.jpg

Last edited:

Knave

well...looks like my daughter has a nice payday coming. We counted and she has 1137 mercury dimes. Silver coin purchase price locally is $2.00 a coin for a grand total of $2274. My wife about feinted when she found out. First words out of my daughter's mouth was "new computer!".

And to think we had no idea about these dimes until I read this post. All the dimes are worn, most are difficult to determine dates and impossible to see if any are "D"s or "S"s. As collector coins, worthless. But at current silver prices? A windfall. Tomorrow I'm going down and change them in. The wife and I are gonna put $1000 in daughter's bank account and the rest she can spend on a computer and clothes (she'll be 16 next month...what else would she want?).

I am so friggin glad I joined this forum!

TedG954

well...looks like my daughter has a nice payday coming. We counted and she has 1137 mercury dimes. Silver coin purchase price locally is $2.00 a coin for a grand total of $2274. My wife about feinted when she found out. First words out of my daughter's mouth was "new computer!".

And to think we had no idea about these dimes until I read this post. All the dimes are worn, most are difficult to determine dates and impossible to see if any are "D"s or "S"s. As collector coins, worthless. But at current silver prices? A windfall. Tomorrow I'm going down and change them in. The wife and I are gonna put $1000 in daughter's bank account and the rest she can spend on a computer and clothes (she'll be 16 next month...what else would she want?).

I am so friggin glad I joined this forum!

It appears that you are selling the coins for 20% less than their actual value (and when I say "actual", I mean just like money. Silver IS money and it has a set value).

Kinda makes me think of haste makes waste. It's your money and you can do what you want with it, but if the going price is $2.50 each, I'd buy them all day for $2.00.

Why not sell half so you daughter can get her computer, etc, and just hold on to the other half as a hedge on inflation? The bank account is a joke as far as return on investment. In the bank, that $1k will be $1015 in 12 months. Yippee!

Check this out.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-00-Face...03?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item4166b87d07

Last edited:

Knave

sound advise. As far as the buying quote, I called everybody within an hour drive and received same quote. As to selling half, that may be a very good idea. She still gets what she wants, and who knows?, silver could appreciate and we sell at later date.

Thanks Ted. Seems even I am not immune to my daughter's excitement.

TedG954

I can understand the excitement, but next to desperation, it could be your worst enemy. Here's a site that gives you real time prices, and they also will buy your coins. Slow down and improve the return for your daughter. Personally, I wouldn't sell any of it. The amount really isn't enough to be life changing and silver WILL increase. Watch the prices climb as we get closer to the supposed dooms day of December 21st.

Live Gold Prices - Gold Price - Silver Prices - Price of Silver and Gold

and....

Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?