Any F3 owners?

zx7dave

Hi Blueiron - No...I have never dealt with the lack of a hot shoe in teh traditional place...so haven't decided if I wasnt to go with one made for this light or not...I have my eye on a 1.4 50mm that would help me in low light..may just go that route...or just shoot outdoors..and use the digital inside...

blueiron

I am busy trying to find a large handle flash for mine, something along the line of an SB-11 or a SB-14. There are bits and pieces out there since everyone seems to want to part them out, but I'd like to find a complete working unit in one place. The big retailers don't have anything in currently and I don't trust anyone on fleaBay since I got burned once and they refused to help.

Shooting outside sometimes requires fill flash and even the hard to find Nikkor f1.2 manual won't help capture an image of my dog at twilight the way I envision the shot. He is getting older and I want to capture him on film.

zx7dave

I honestly am trying to learn how the AS-3 and AS-7 attach to the camera but have not been able to find any pictures...so far if I do get a flash it would likely be the SB12 unless the addition of the AS-3 or AS-7 allows more options. However if I do end up with a flash I am willing to mail it to you so you can use it to get your picture you are looking for.

blueiron

Dave,

Thanks for the kind offer! I just learned about the AS-17 which allows hot shoe flashes to be used on the F3 and am hunting for one now. I will try to make my SB-400/800 work.

The AS-3 is for adapting a F or F2 flash to the F3. I haven't seen one for some time, but B&H lists them. No such luck for the AS-7. They both attach to the grooves on either side of the film winder.

I have slowly been collecting F3 accessories since I got mine back [it was stolen in a burglary from a storage facility years ago]. I always wanted a large grip type flash and now that they aren't easily available, it is a challenge to acquire one for use.

Again, thanks!

zx7dave

Does the AS-17 work with the the F3 series or just the F3HP?

Dave,

Thanks for the kind offer! I just learned about the AS-17 which allows hot shoe flashes to be used on the F3 and am hunting for one now. I will try to make my SB-400/800 work.

The AS-3 is for adapting a F or F2 flash to the F3. I haven't seen one for some time, but B&H lists them. No such luck for the AS-7. They both attach to the grooves on either side of the film winder.

I have slowly been collecting F3 accessories since I got mine back [it was stolen in a burglary from a storage facility years ago]. I always wanted a large grip type flash and now that they aren't easily available, it is a challenge to acquire one for use.

Again, thanks!

blueiron

It should work with the entire series, since all the contacts on the rewind knob and the viewfinder are the same. It might be a problem on the waistlevel viewfinder, but I haven't seen anyone ever try to use an SLR and flash together with a waistlevel viewfinder.

shakman

I happen to have an F3 original. After sitting in its case for seven straight years, it was given to me with the 105mm 2.5 attached to it! Yeh, I know how crazy it sounds! The shutter sticks sometimes and there is fungus in the pentaprism. It is a gem nevertheless and has given me great photos. The small light inside the pentaprism also works. I am not letting them go anywhere.

Retired_Prof

I have one sitting in my closet w/ three beautiful lenses. I am hoping that the d90 can adapt to these fossils in the M mode.
I hate to admit it but I also have an old Leica, circa 1956. It's a beautiful example of German workmanship. I hate to part with
these cameras but I know that someday this will become a necessity.
RP

crasher

Another one here, its on my avatar.
Sadly it died just before Xmas. Don't think I will get it repaired as I mostly shoot digital but if I clocked one in good condition at the right price I would be tempted

Eye-level

Banned
Whatever you do OP isolate that fungus from all of your other stuff...

Drop a F3 in the water and it is done...Drop a F2 in the mud and remember to wipe off the lens before you shoot...

Drop a D700 on anything...you are a clumsy son of a buck!!!

The F3 was the first great "electronic" PRO camera in my book...cheap cheap today batteries readily available and a million accessories and lens...you wear glasses?..no sweat...wouldn't mind having a press version with a bad you wanna race motordrive...

;)

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I have one sitting in my closet w/ three beautiful lenses. I am hoping that the d90 can adapt to these fossils in the M mode.
I also have an old Leica, circa 1956.
RP

Sounds like you have a bad @ss kit sir...are you going to throw up some photos for us in your Nikonites gallery???

Last edited:

Lights

I'm new here & I can proudly say I own and love a Nikon F3.

It's actually the first camera I bought, and I couldn't be happier. My grandfather and father were both great photographers, my father let me mess around with his nice nikon digital a few years back but it never interested me much. Once my grandfather died he passed his old Minolta XG1 down to me, it was beautiful and I loved using it.

I don't know exactly why, but I absolutely love film photography. When you get your film processed it's just an amazing feeling, even if only a few turned out nice. And sometimes you get that ONE photo, everything is perfect about it and you feel so proud that you took it:] Also the prices for lenses & accessories is DRAMATICALLY less for film, I got the Nikon F3 HP used off ebay in amazing condition for less than 200, and a great quality Vivtar telephoto lens for 50. I recently just bought my second lens, a Nikon 50mm and I'm really excited to use it, as well as a Vivitar Hotshoe adapter so I can use the plethora of 3rd party flashes.

It's truly a beautiful camera, how it feels and snaps photos is just perfect. I couldn't ask for anything more!