Anti-Aliasing Filter Removal

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Well, after only 2 days with the D7100 I am firmly convinced that the correlation between removing the Anti-Aliasing Filter and image sharpness is undeniable. It's like an amp that goes to 11. So, I'm seriously considering whether or not I want to send my D600 off to have the AA/Low Pass filter removed. The folks at Kolari Vision (who did my IR conversion) charge $400 for the service ($100 less than LifePixel), which is right on the border of what I'd consider given the value of the camera. That said, it's about what it would do for me for the rest of the life of the camera, and I am fairly sure I'd upgrade a lens at a cost $400 if it promised to be that much sharper than what I had.

Anyone know of anybody who has had this service done? Only drawback seems to be that the Self-Sensor Cleaning function is removed with the filter (makes sense since that function simply vibrates the AA filter).

What do you think?

I was not too happy with life pixel when I had them converted my D80 to IR due to my command sub- dial no longer works properly. It did show more acuity after it was converted.

It might be worth considering with Kolari Visions if they can assure you that they can calibrate the AF properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick M

It would be interesting to do a test between the D600 and D7100 in relation to fine detail in a pattern (bird feather?). I'm wondering if the processor in the D7100 could mistake fine detail in a pattern for moire and remove it.

480sparky

It would be interesting to do a test between the D600 and D7100 in relation to fine detail in a pattern (bird feather?). I'm wondering if the processor in the D7100 could mistake fine detail in a pattern for moire and remove it.

If I had a suitable subject I'd be happy to do it.

BackdoorArts

I was not too happy with life pixel when I had them converted my D80 to IR due to my command sub- dial no longer works properly. It did show more acuity after it was converted.

It might be worth considering with Kolari Visions if they can assure you that they can calibrate the AF properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kolari Vision did a superb job calibrating my D7000 conversion with my 18-105mm. I've had zero issues and would use them again in a heartbeat.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Don't think I want to have to buy a Hot Mirror filter to replace the AA filter....Too much for me....but who knows....might turn out good. Ask Kolari for sample images of a D6xx that have had the AA removed. Interesting website.

Englischdude

hi jake,

im not in your position and lack your experience and arsenal, I cant comment on the specific technical implications of the conversion either, however I dont think I would spend that money to achieve results which I am sure can also be neared, maybe even exceeded with a camera such as the d800 and post processing. I would differentiate between "need to have" and "nice to have", in this case, unless there is some pressing reason why the conversion is necessary, I would leave it as it is.

BackdoorArts

hi jake,

im not in your position and lack your experience and arsenal, I cant comment on the specific technical implications of the conversion either, however I dont think I would spend that money to achieve results which I am sure can also be neared, maybe even exceeded with a camera such as the d800 and post processing. I would differentiate between "need to have" and "nice to have", in this case, unless there is some pressing reason why the conversion is necessary, I would leave it as it is.

Martin, the one thing you can't truly add in post processing are details that aren't captured in the first place. You can use software to approximate them, but you can put them in. I have a D800, and regret now not spending the extra $300 for the D800e with the OLPF removed. I'd seen sample shots comparing the two and while you could see the additional details it's just not the same in samples as it is when you're finally confronted with it face to face in your own camera. I have no issues with the IQ of either the D600 or D800, but if I can get that bump without compromising other aspects of IQ, then as I said $400 is less than I'd spend on a lens upgrade, so if I've still got over 100K shots left on a shutter it's a worthwhile investment.

I'm going to do some more research - a lot more research - before making a final decision. User experiences are key here, and the drawback for me is the Kolari is much smaller than Lifepixel, so finding multiple samples from the same camera I want to convert may prove challenging in the short term.