Alternative to Wimberley Monogimbel head

Patrick M

I’ve used the wimberley head for years … 6 years with DSLRs and the F 200-500 on a monopod, then 3 years with a Z6 and now the Z8 with the z70-200

But those lenses have a collar ring that allows the camera to freely rotate making using the wimberley a joy.

But now I have a z180-600 and the collar ring is loosened by unscrewing, a little, the attachment screw. To much and the collar comes off! Too little and the lens scrapes and is hard to rotate. you need the camera to freely rotate as when you swing from one position to another, the angle of the monopod changes, forcing you to either hold the camera at an angle (very uncomfortable) or the lens ring let’s the camera rotate….it doesn’t.

Irs too early yet for a replacement collar ring, but I’m hoping.
meantime, I find the choices very limited.
I’m open to ideas.

I hope the issue is clear?

blackstar

Sorry no experience with the Wimberly head, but am surprised to hear you have the z180-600 now, Congratulations! When and how did you get yours? I am still waiting and nobody (Nikon, B&H, Adorama... ) even mentioned when it will ship. Do you have sample images from the lens? Just wonder.

Patrick M

My dealer started a wish list ages ago, so when it was announced I went into their list ..and left a 10% deposit. This is in London, England. They called 3 weeks ago for full payment, and anyone they called, was in that batch…the first! And I’m not NPS either.
so I could have had it Friday 1st Sept, but I was at an event…so DPD delivered the following Tuesday 😀

Patrick M

This rotating mount is an alternative, but I wonder if it will put too much stress on the mount. It attaches to the base of the camera.

Patrick M

These were a couple of quick snaps . ISO is quite high and I didn’t pp in any way except cropping.

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    679.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1923.jpeg
    IMG_1923.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 28

Patrick M

I’ll be in Orlando FL next week visiting some of the wildlife reserves….hoping to get a few good images over the next week or two

blackstar

My dealer started a wish list ages ago, so when it was announced I went into their list ..and left a 10% deposit. This is in London, England. They called 3 weeks ago for full payment, and anyone they called, was in that batch…the first! And I’m not NPS either.
so I could have had it Friday 1st Sept, but I was at an event…so DPD delivered the following Tuesday 😀
Gee, how lucky (and unfair) did UK get the first batch delivery... Nowhere else even get the estimated delivery date yet (many announced and withdrew soon after)! At some points, B&H announced EDD as Sept 30, then Dec 2023... and then changed to unknown! Guess if lucky, sometime before the summer of 2024... :(

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I’ll be in Orlando FL next week visiting some of the wildlife reserves….hoping to get a few good images over the next week or two
How long will you be in Orlando Patrick? I understand Orlando does have some good wetlands.

It's a 2.5 -3 hour drive south to see Wako, Green Cay and Loxahatchee.

Patrick M

How long will you be in Orlando Patrick? I understand Orlando does have some good wetlands.

It's a 2.5 -3 hour drive south to see Wako, Green Cay and Loxahatchee.
ten days. My wife has picked at least 6 wildlife areas for us to visit! My z180-600 wu=ill get some good use. I'll have the 2xTC and no other lenses

BF Hammer

Just revisiting the original post here. Are you saying you have been just leaving the lens ring loose with your 70-200mm with the monopod to rotate portrait-landcape orientation at will? Can't say I have even thought of doing that. I always tighten the screw down again after rotating. I would not feel secure otherwise. But I also just use a simple tilt-head on my monopod so the camera and lens are not off on the side but rather more balanced on top of the head. The rig is still supported if I take my pod-holding hand off to loosen-tighten the collar ring on a lens.

I cannot think of a product to help with that.

Patrick M

Just revisiting the original post here. Are you saying you have been just leaving the lens ring loose with your 70-200mm with the monopod to rotate portrait-landcape orientation at will? Can't say I have even thought of doing that. I always tighten the screw down again after rotating. I would not feel secure otherwise. But I also just use a simple tilt-head on my monopod so the camera and lens are not off on the side but rather more balanced on top of the head. The rig is still supported if I take my pod-holding hand off to loosen-tighten the collar ring on a lens.

I cannot think of a product to help with that.
Almost. With a monopod, one tends to angle the monopod … for example if you’re shooting in front, then the leg foot will be forward, the monopod sloping backwards to the camera…so you’re own legs become the rear two of an effective tripod. Now yiu swing to a target left of you. Your monopod now leans to the left and your camera, as it’s fixed to the monopod will also slope down to the left. To keep the camera horizontal, you leave the collar loose.and freely rotate The camera. With a collar like that on the z70-200 or the F200-500, that’s never a problem.