Alternative Post Processing Programs.

J-see

With the impending demise of Aperture, I've been looking at alternative post processing software. From what I've seen, the combination of PaintShop Pro X7 and AfterShot Pro 2 from Corel look great, but they aren't Mac compatible. That's a Bummer. I refuse to make monthly payments for software, so Adobe products are out! Plus, once you dump Adobe, as I did, you realize what a heavy load their overweight code puts on your system.

I notice very much how demanding Adobe-ware is. When I run LR, this windows system is constantly cooling. I have an old PS CS2 in which I often work with files that are a couple of 100 MB and the PC handles that just fine.

Too bad that old PS doesn't work on my Macbook else I'd keep using that one.

J-see

I tried to get a shot as similar as possible in both editors to show the difference. In LR, it is as close as I could get it without having to start using curves. I sharpened in both, in RT the main sharpening I didn't push higher than the standard value but in LR I pushed it to 60 trying to get more out of it. No fancy tricks; just an edit of the same NEF.

_DSC6431.jpg_DSC6431-1.jpg

_DSC6431-3.jpg_DSC6431-1-2.jpg

_DSC6431-4.jpg_DSC6431-1-3.jpg

J-see

I'm testing Raw Photo Processor at the moment which is a nice RAW converter if you have a Mac and want to process full RAWs more accurately.

All info you find here; Raw Photo Processor (RPP)

Here's one of my NEF's processed using some of their different color modes.

_DSC1904-005.jpg

_DSC1904-002.jpg

_DSC1904-006.jpg