AI added to Photoshop's Content Aware Fill

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Sorry but the owner of the video disabled embedding the link. So all I can do is to post the link which will take you to YouTube. It looks very impressive. I'm not sure why Nikonites is automatically embedding the video. I am unable to just post the link.

Clovishound

I just tried out the new remove tool in the latest update. I was very impressed. Is this the feature you are referring to?

You right click on the bandaid icon and select remove. Then paint the area you want removed. It automatically fills in based on the surrounding background. Here is a picture that I didn't like the tree trunk behind the beak of the left heron was causing the beak to blend into the tree. I tried getting rid of that using several different tools, without much success. (I'm not very knowledgeable in PS.) This did a phenomenal job, very easily.

The original with the beak overlaying the trunk.

_DAB9426-DeNoiseAI-severe-noise-2.jpg

The edited version removing the offending wood.

_DAB9426-2DeNoiseAI-severe-noise-2.jpg

I have several photos that have annoying content that I couldn't easily remove. I will have to revisit them and try this feature out.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Yes, they call it the remove tool, but some people are promoting it as AI. Supposedly the work is done in the cloud so computers need to be online.

Clovishound

Look to the left of the beak on the standing heron on the left. There is the stump of a branch behind it. I was able to easily remove and smooth it with a couple clicks. This was something very difficult to do with other tools.

Here is another. There is a distracting stump on the left of the image. I removed it and the reflection with one easy selection each. There are two artifacts in the surf. I could easily remove those with one or two selections. The whole thing took a minute or two.

Original:

_DAB7648-2-HDR.jpg

Edited:

_DAB7648-2-HDR-2.jpg

Clovishound

Here's another one. I took this picture a year and a half ago. My editing skills were in their infancy, and I didn't have some of the tools available then. I used Topaz Sharpen to crisp it up and remove noise, then used the new remove tool in PS to get rid of the radio tracker and tethers. The more I use remove, the more I like it. Very easy to use, and normally a very natural look when it has done it's thing.

Before:

DSC_0456.jpg

After:

DSC_0456-SharpenAI-Motion copy 2.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team
@Clovishound Nice demonstrations.(y) The separation of the beak from the tree is a nice effect. To me the removal of the stump causes an imbalance in the picture and if one intends to remove something in post that may need to be considered when framing the shot.
Like the reprocessing on the third especially the lighting of the bird. (y)

Clovishound

When I was shooting the picture of the herons, I was aware of the trunk behind the bird and tried to change my position to get background separation, but was unable to do so. I was shooting from the bank of a pond and there were limited areas with a clear line of sight to the cypress in the pond where the herons were nesting. At the time I did not consider removal of anything substantial to be viable, given the tools and skills I had available. I will be considering this as an option now that this tool is available.

Needa

Challenge Team
Birds and limbs are tough, removing that area works and don't think I would have noticed had not the original been there. Sometimes there are no good perfect angles. The observation about framing was just a reference to the landscape. The picture now seem to me to be heavy on the right side.

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

Look to the left of the beak on the standing heron on the left. There is the stump of a branch behind it. I was able to easily remove and smooth it with a couple clicks. This was something very difficult to do with other tools.

Here is another. There is a distracting stump on the left of the image. I removed it and the reflection with one easy selection each. There are two artifacts in the surf. I could easily remove those with one or two selections. The whole thing took a minute or two.

Original:

View attachment 392439
Edited:

View attachment 392440
I would probably remove the entire clump of stuff in the lower right corner, and try to re-arrange the horizon line... that one far-left branch causes the horizon/surf line looks like it's lower on the left side than the right side...looks like it's dipping on the left...

Clovishound

I used the remove tool to take out the clump of "grass". The horizon was almost perfectly level and on the lower 1/3 line to begin with. I think the content fill uses a little to much repetition in this case. I tried a couple ways using the remove tool, and nothing looked as natural as this overall. I also lost the reflection of the tree. Someone with more PS skills could likely do much better.

_DAB7648-2-HDR-2 copy-2 copy.jpg

Compared with the original. I think I like the framing of the "grass" better, although a smaller clump in just the right lower corner would be my preference. Can't always get exactly what we want.

_DAB7648-2-HDR-2 copy-2.jpg

In the end, the remove tool did a great job of removing the stump, but the "grass", not so much. For that, a different location for the camera was the best option IMO.

_DAB7564.jpg