AF-C all the time

vindex1963

I've been reading a lot more since getting my D7000 on focus and focus modes. I've been shooting for years switching
back and forth between AF-S single or AF-C continues focus modes and I've read a few references to using 9 point
AF-C all the time so lately I've tried it and I have to say the results have been really good. AF-C with lock on.
AF-A auto seems erratic to me I don't like it because there seems to be a lot of change for it to be affected.

Anybody use AF-C 9 point with focus lock all the time? Right now anyway it just makes sense to me. Single point and
continuous both let the shutter release when focus is achieved but if you or the subject slightly moves -S won't refocus
and -C will on a 1/2 shutter.

9 point is the thinking that is will track better than single point focus and anymore than 9 point gives a chance of loosing focus
to something you don't want.

I'm always looking for something new and to get more keepers.

Anybody use AF-C 9 point with focus lock all the time?

Krs_2007

I switched to 9 points sometime last year after an article on the focus system. Actually prefer it now and seem to have more keepers. But this is my AF-c setting with nine points and back button focus for action. I use AFS 9 for static shots.

Don't shoot a lot of birds flying, so it really seems to work on larger subjects. I did use 3-d focus on some ducks last year flying but haven't played with it since.

Remember with the back button focus its no different than holding the shutter button down half way, you can do the same with bbf. I just prefer the method because it's quicker for me to capture the shot I want by holding one button and squeezing the other when ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

vindex1963

I switched to 9 points sometime last year after an article on the focus system. Actually prefer it now and seem to have more keepers. But this is my AF-c setting with nine points and back button focus for action. I use AFS 9 for static shots.

Don't shoot a lot of birds flying, so it really seems to work on larger subjects. I did use 3-d focus on some ducks last year flying but haven't played with it since.

Remember with the back button focus its no different than holding the shutter button down half way, you can do the same with bbf. I just prefer the method because it's quicker for me to capture the shot I want by holding one button and squeezing the other when ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I plan I using the AF-S for static shots (tripod shots) also.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I do change from single to 9 sometime but most of the time I do use single point

Good to hear it works with single point which tends to be my preference. Although I haven't had good luck with BBF (tendonitis in forearm reacting to moving extra fingers/thumb), I may give it a try again. The results BBF obtains is worthy of a second look. ;)