Advice on lens

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That is the answer I am looking for. Even with body able to shoot at higher ISO, you would still need the faster lens under low light. The talk about pumping up iso to 64000 and use f4 and above with good speed is not possible? Again, not possible is referring to achieve clean clear picture.

It is subjective. Noisier images can be cleaned up a bit with the use of softwares.

If you use a D600 at ISO 6400, it can be seen as clean as long as you do not pixel peep. If you view them at 100% resolution on your computer monitor, you might not like the results.

Will it be acceptable to you? Perhaps you can ask someone here to send you a sample shot SOOC in a low light scene to get a first hand or second Hand experience.

Glenn
Caution: Typos may occur randomly.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It seems we can never have enough light. Ten years ago we all lusted after big glass that were a couple stops faster.

Now we have sensors that are two stops faster, yet we still lust after the big glass (although it is pricier than ever).

Which begs the question "what did we a decade or more ago?"

The transition from film to digital images is still an on going thing that will continue to improve as time goes on.

By nature, humans are never satisfied. We often find ways to improve products, our life style and so on. It is similar with television or cell phones.

Without engineers or inventors, we might not see a lot of progress which is bad when it comes to commerce.

Glenn
Caution: Typos may occur randomly.

SkvLTD

It seems we can never have enough light. Ten years ago we all lusted after big glass that were a couple stops faster.

Now we have sensors that are two stops faster, yet we still lust after the big glass (although it is pricier than ever).

Which begs the question "what did we a decade or more ago?"

Honestly, 95% of everyone here doesn't shoot nightlife for a living, nor sports, again for a living, so having fastest glass to push everything to its limits isn't really necessary. Today most of pics end up online, so having tack-sharp-2.8 or f/4 doesn't make that much of a difference.

nzswift

Here's a shot from iPhoto taken of a kids play where no flash was allowed....

Play.jpg

EXIF doesn't show (why??) but it is F7.1 1/400 ISO 12800

Last edited:

aroy

As long as the scene is lighted up uniformly, high ISO in FX sensors is good. It is when the DR of the scene is more, that you see a lot of noise in shadows/darker areas. Down sizing helps reduce the effect of noise, so if you are not going to crop aggressively or print large, noise at high ISO may not matter much, but definitely will, if you want a large amount of details and crystal clear image. You are still stuck to below ISO 400 in such situations. Any thing higher and the shadows show their noise.

By the way, it seems that the D610 is a safer bet, unless you are getting D600 pre owned.

Faster glass is not only about more light and faster shooting.
. It is about more isolation when wide open
. It is about faster AF in bad light
. It is about better built (normally)

Unless you will be shooting landscapes and buildings at high F stops (for DOF), or need lighter glass for travel, or are constrained by budget, faster lenses are a better buy.

Bukitimah

186 - performance.jpg

This shot was taken by my D300 at iso 3200 using the 70-300 f5.6. The performance does not allow flash and lighting isn't the best. I wonder if the D600 would do a much better job using the same lens?

RocketCowboy

View attachment 171217

This shot was taken by my D300 at iso 3200 using the 70-300 f5.6. The performance does not allow flash and lighting isn't the best. I wonder if the D600 would do a much better job using the same lens?

Did you get to use a tripod/monopod with that image? 1/160 at 300mm could explain some of the lack of sharpness, but then you were already wide open on the lens so the only way to get faster shutter speed would be to up the ISO. Is your 70-300mm lens the version with VR or no?

Bukitimah

No this is a live performance in a threater. No tripod is allowed. The 70-300 is the vr version and subject is about 40 m away, my estimate

Rick M

When I was shooting the D600/D610 the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC was my favorite walk around lens. If you want the most out of the D600 sensor, get the best lens you can. Range vs. IQ, the age old trade-off :). The F4 is a nice lens, but if you're shooting indoor....,

eagerbilt

Or better still, the D750 - faster processor, better high ISO.
That's what I really wanted but cost was a little out of reach for me as I just upgraded from a D7100 with all DX lenses except for my 70-200mm 2.8 Tamron. Not many used D750's for sale yet...found none and sells new for $2600 Canadian at my local camera shop. So, the D610 it is...I got the a 24-70mm 2.8 Tamron and camera for a lot less than the D750 body alone...and I'm still very happy with my D610.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

aroy

The D610 is still an awesome camera! If I could get the D750 sensor and processor in the D610 package ... I don't need the wifi or tilting screen, would probably close the price gap between the two bodies.
My sentiments exactly. In fact I also have no need for 2 card slots or a second display. That is why I like my D3300 as it has minimal buttons and no extra features that I have paid for but do not need. The only thing that I would love to have, beyond the D3300 functionality is
. 14 bit RAW
. Ability to meter with AIS lenses
. Ability to AF with "D" lenses

RocketCowboy

My sentiments exactly. In fact I also have no need for 2 card slots or a second display. That is why I like my D3300 as it has minimal buttons and no extra features that I have paid for but do not need. The only thing that I would love to have, beyond the D3300 functionality is
. 14 bit RAW
. Ability to meter with AIS lenses
. Ability to AF with "D" lenses

If only DSLRs could be built like legos ... just picking the parts that were most important to you.