AdobeRGB VS sRGB colour space

Blade Canyon

Okay, I took one RAW image (shot with D800 set to AdobeRGB) and processed it two ways. I saved the first file as a JPEG with the embedded Adobe Color Profile. For the second output file, I selected Convert Profile from the Edit menu, converting to sRGB. Saved that as a JPEG with the embedded sRGB profile.

Both images have been uploaded to the Flickr album linked below. Remember, these are the same source photo.

On my monitor at home, and in Windows Media Viewer, I see no differences at all. But on my phone or iPad, there is a significant difference. The sRGB, which is a 1mb bigger file, is more vibrant. In fact, this may be why I've always thought that pictures from phones or cheaper cameras sometimes seem more vibrant than my DSLR pics (because those images were in sRGB all the time).

Almost all of my work is viewed electronically, so I might just change all of my camera and Photoshop settings to sRGB and forget about it. Also in the album is a third picture, shot at the same time, in sRGB camera mode, then opened from ACR in 16 bit sRGB mode in PS. Then saved as a JPEG sRGB. Again I see no difference on my monitor, and on my phone it looks the same as the other sRGB pic.

The three output files are in a Flickr album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41728000@N08/sets/72157654408152976

Conclusion? Saving JPEGS with Adobe color profiles can produce dull pictures when viewed online or on devices. Shoot in RAW and process files however you want for the situation. If I'm not shooting in RAW, I don't intend to print, so will change all my camera bodies to sRGB. I will also change everything in PS and ACR set to sRGB, but will convert the RAW to AdobeRGB if I intend to print.

Or, IOW, exactly what OP Scott Murray said.

Last edited:

10 Gauge

[MENTION=15302]Blade Canyon[/MENTION] on my work monitor (HP el cheapo) I don't notice any difference at all between the two variances of the same picture saved in each profile. The third picture there's a slight difference but I can't tell if that's because it's a different picture or because of the color profiles.

ryan20fun

That is because your phone is not using the embeded profile to display.
A larger colour space will always look dull when viewed as a smaller one.

But the end result is that sRGB is the safest way to get your picture properly viewable on the web.

HTH

voxmagna

I'll throw in another issue here. I shoot NEF raw + JPEGs because I want something quick to put on a TV when mobile and NEF post processed to JPEG will not display on some TV panels due to Adobe saving JPEG without chroma sub sampling for higher quality 7-12.

However, I also do HD video editing of scenes captured on my D750 and Sony Handy cams. The issue for me is either movie editing CIE sRGB because that is the color space of most commercial TV displays, or displaying JPEGS on similar displays and maybe printing where printers can handle the full color space of Adobe RGB. I think I understand from this thread that color space settings in the camera apply to the JPEG conversions and not NEF raw right? I also understand I can converts still images from wider Adobe RGB to sRGB but not the other way.

So shooting Adobe RGB captures a wider color gamut giving no advantage when converted to sRGB, but can give a wider tonal range if displayed or printed on devices capable of showing the wider color gamut of Adobe RGB.

I edit movie and still images from my D750 using Dual HP LP2475w lcd displays. The issue I have is how to manage the workflow color profiles if I am editing sRGB for movies and stills for TV display, or Adobe RGB for nice looking pictures on a Adobe RGB capable monitor or printer. I'd like the best of everything, future proof and with the least work re-calibrating monitors according to the workflow!

I have this idea which might be totally off the wall and I don't know yet if it is practical. In a dual monitor configuration, one display is used for post editing decisions and the second for actions screens. Content is easily shifted by mouse to either screen. I am wondering if it is possible to have one display profiled for Adobe RGB (HP 'custom' monitor setting) and the second monitor profiled for sRGB (An HP default setting). Windows 7-64 seems to allow each monitor profile to be set differently, but I can experiment. As far as I can tell the difference between the two profiles will not be huge and any differences in screen content like Windows icons and screens might be tolerable.

What say the experts? One monitor calibrated sRGB, the second monitor aRGB?

voxmagna

I'll throw in another issue here. I shoot NEF raw + JPEGs because I want something quick to put on a TV when mobile and NEF post processed to JPEG will not display on some TV panels due to Adobe saving JPEG without chroma sub sampling for higher quality 7-12.

However, I also do HD video editing of scenes captured on my D750 and Sony Handy cams. The issue for me is either movie editing CIE sRGB because that is the color space of most commercial TV displays, or displaying JPEGS on similar displays and maybe printing where printers can handle the full color space of Adobe RGB. I think I understand from this thread that color space settings in the camera apply to the JPEG conversions and not NEF raw right? I also understand I can converts still images from wider Adobe RGB to sRGB but not the other way.

So shooting Adobe RGB captures a wider color gamut giving no advantage when converted to sRGB, but can give a wider tonal range if displayed or printed on devices capable of showing the wider color gamut of Adobe RGB.

I edit movie and still images from my D750 using Dual HP LP2475w lcd displays. The issue I have is how to manage the workflow color profiles if I am editing sRGB for movies and stills for TV display, or Adobe RGB for nice looking pictures on a Adobe RGB capable monitor or printer. I'd like the best of everything, future proof and with the least work re-calibrating monitors according to the workflow!

I have this idea which might be totally off the wall and I don't know yet if it is practical. In a dual monitor configuration, one display is used for post editing decisions and the second for actions screens. Content is easily shifted by mouse to either screen. I am wondering if it is possible to have one display profiled for Adobe RGB (HP 'custom' monitor setting) and the second monitor profiled for sRGB (An HP default setting). Windows 7-64 seems to allow each monitor profile to be set differently, but I can experiment. As far as I can tell the difference between the two profiles will not be huge and any differences in screen content like Windows icons and screens might be tolerable.

What say the experts? One monitor calibrated sRGB, the second monitor aRGB?