A Request For The Judges On The Monthly Assignments

MeSess

Am I the only one who think s it would make more sense for voting on the photos to take place after the assignment is closed? Let everyone submit their entries for a given amount of time and then once the window has closed you can open it up to voting. This will make it possible for people to go through the entire assignment and choose their favorites as apposed to voting for 5 of the earlier submissions. The way it is setup now the people who submit late entries have no shot at getting votes because people have either used their votes up or have stopped visiting the thread. You'll never be able to do away with the favoritism that comes from people voting for their friends but at least make it where each photo has a shot at getting votes.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Am I the only one who think s it would make more sense for voting on the photos to take place after the assignment is closed? Let everyone submit their entries for a given amount of time and then once the window has closed you can open it up to voting. This will make it possible for people to go through the entire assignment and choose their favorites as apposed to voting for 5 of the earlier submissions. The way it is setup now the people who submit late entries have no shot at getting votes because people have either used their votes up or have stopped visiting the thread. You'll never be able to do away with the favoritism that comes from people voting for their friends but at least make it where each photo has a shot at getting votes.

If you've read one of my recent posts, this is what we are trying to do this month. You still can (I hope you can) cast a "like" even if the thread is closed. Now, I would really like someone to try it just to make sure since sometimes I can do things that others can't because of my "Moderator" status. People will have until the 5th or around to give likes to last month's assignment and the "like" count will determine the selections.

MeSess

If you've read one of my recent posts, this is what we are trying to do this month. You still can (I hope you can) cast a "like" even if the thread is closed. Now, I would really like someone to try it just to make sure since sometimes I can do things that others can't because of my "Moderator" status. People will have until the 5th or around to give likes to last month's assignment and the "like" count will determine the selections.

Sorry I tried to read the entire post but I must've missed one. I'll give it a shot.

SteveH

Just an additional thought to all the good ideas here.... How about voluntary "Guest" judges each month?

For instance, non-moderators volunteer to judge the following months assignment, then one mod and 5 "Lay-people" could judge that months entries?

RockyNH_RIP

For what it is worth, I prefer some sort of judging rather than Like Votes... That becomes more of a popularity contest (in my opinion.)

Also, I see potential for Likes to be bestowed more on early entries ... Anyway, just my 2 cents worth .. and probably not even worth a penny! :)

Pat in NH

gqtuazon

Gear Head
on other forums, the moderators chooses the top 5-7 images, post them for voting by all members.

i myself prefer that method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
One thing is certain, we will never be able to please everyone. So as much as we will try to make the assignment interesting and stimulate participation, it will never be perfect. Let's just say that it could be work in progress for a while until we do find the magic formula.

As much as I suspect some are participating just for the win, remember that it is meant to be just an exercice.

RockyNH_RIP

One thing is certain, we will never be able to please everyone. So as much as we will try to make the assignment interesting and stimulate participation, it will never be perfect. Let's just say that it could be work in progress for a while until we do find the magic formula.

As much as I suspect some are participating just for the win, remember that it is meant to be just an exercice.

Marcel, I so agree.... Please note, no matter what my comments, they are meant to be constructive and the challenge of the assignment is what I submit for, and to try and improve my work..

Thanks to ALL the moderators for making this possible.

Pat in NH

Pretzel

Weighing in, even though I wasn't really going to at first. Incorporating a lot from multiple posts, sorry. ;)

1) There are some "hobbyists" here that far eclipse my "semi-pro" skills. Semi-pro, to me, means that I occasionally earn a little on the side from my photography skills. Then, there are some "pros" that... well... There's really no way to separate noob/pro/hobbyist/sandbagger, in any way, shape or form.

2) I like monthly "honorable mentions", whether you call them winners, "best" or what. I've entered quite a few, even was chosen as a top 5 for one (head swelling goes here), and NOT been chosen in all the rest, but I've enjoyed taking the shots in every assignment I've participated in. There are times when it limits me to one subject, or a particular type of edit, etc., but that's cool because I grow through participation, and I enjoy comparing what I've done to others.

3) I LOVE the thought of a bit of sharing, after the fact, why some picked this pic over that, etc., as long as no feelings get hurt. Remember, this is all "eye of the beholder stuff", as is any challenge in the realm of photography, and I'd bet all "honorable mentions" would be more than happy to share the how/what/why of their images when asked. Isn't that what this place is about?

4) It would be cool if everyone would reserve their "likes" until after the challenge "entry" phase is complete, and then with the expectation that you don't just flat out "like" everything, but only something that grabs you in some way. Some challenges, I've like 3 photos. Others, I've liked 9. None have I liked all, and some... well, I'll admit to having not clicked on any. Weighted votes from moderators seems fair, as they're the consistent "knowledgeable" source.

5) I, for one, really have no major issues with how it's going down right now. If there's a new idea, write it into the rules for a month and see how it goes! If it doesn't work, next month doesn't need to be exactly the same, and can even fully revert if needed.

6) THANKS, MODS, for coming up with all the varying challenges! I'm grateful they're not all "flowers", "pets", "landscapes", repeat. I, for one, am growing!! I had a BLAST with the abstract challenge, love the night theme, etc. You guys have an often thankless job, but I'm here to say, again... THANKS!

That's all. I'm hungry, and there's a Buffalo Wild Wings next door that is calling my name.

Browncoat

As the original creator of this site's photo contests, this is the exact reason why I initially set it up as the "Weekly Challenge" that was run by the community, and not moderator staff. Moderators are supposed to do just that, monitor the forums...not judge photo contests. There's no value in that for anyone.

As time has gone on, the photo contests have gotten stale for a variety of reasons. It's not particularly anyone's fault, that's just the nature of the beast. This is a volunteer-run site, and not enough hands on deck.

I would urge the community to take matters into its own hands and run your own contests again.

[EDIT] Clarification

Unless you've moderated a site, you can't truly appreciate the hard work behind the scenes. These contests are just another thing heaped on the pile, and they're not easy to organize and maintain.

There's no hard and fast rule here that states you can only participate in moderator-run photo contests. If the community wants something different, there's nothing stopping you from creating one.

Last edited:

WeeHector

As the original creator of this site's photo contests, this is the exact reason why I initially set it up as the "Weekly Challenge" that was run by the community, and not moderator staff. Moderators are supposed to do just that, monitor the forums...not judge photo contests. There's no value in that for anyone.

As time has gone on, the photo contests have gotten stale for a variety of reasons. It's not particularly anyone's fault, that's just the nature of the beast. This is a volunteer-run site, and not enough hands on deck.

I would urge the community to take matters into its own hands and run your own contests again.

[EDIT] Clarification

Unless you've moderated a site, you can't truly appreciate the hard work behind the scenes. These contests are just another thing heaped on the pile, and they're not easy to organize and maintain.

There's no hard and fast rule here that states you can only participate in moderator-run photo contests. If the community wants something different, there's nothing stopping you from creating one.

I totally agree with you. The problem with the monthly contest is that it can't be reserved exclusively to one group of photographers. I'm heavily into macro but I realise that, as a subject, it would greatly reduce the number of participants. It would be nice if we could have regular weekly contests again, though it would necessitate a serious discussion as to how these would be organised and judged. A few thoughts for people to ponder.

As for myself, I don't really need a contest, though the set subject can direct one to a field as yet undiscovered and a possible new subject of interest. My contest takes place on a day-to-day basis with myself and my camera. The photos posted by others are constantly pushing me towards better things and I thank them for it. I don't really have an eye for scenic photography and am never likely to win a prize for it. Each to his own.:D

Browncoat

I totally agree with you. The problem with the monthly contest is that it can't be reserved exclusively to one group of photographers. I'm heavily into macro but I realise that, as a subject, it would greatly reduce the number of participants.

That's just what I'm saying though. You CAN set it up that way.

The sub-forums here are pretty clearly divided an organized. Spend any amount of time here, and you'll quickly find out who the macro guys (and gals) are, who the flower guys are, who the railfans are, who the landscape photogs are, etc. Start up your own contests in those forums and run them yourselves. I'm sure the mods will even sticky them for you. Get enough participation, and the Bossman can certainly set up special sections for them.

This way, we could have 20 contests running on the site instead of just 1.