A question about how files are stored on an SD card

Sevenup

When I take pictures, they are stored on my card in files. I have 4 large main files (that I did not create)
and sometimes pictures taken from one day will be put into one file and other pictures from the same session are put into another file.

Why does this happen?

Blade Canyon

When I take pictures, they are stored on my card in files.

I assume you mean the picture files are stored in folders on the card? You can control where the picture files are stored in your menu settings. It's possible that you may have customized that feature in one of the U1 or U2 settings. Take a picture in A or M, then shoot one in U1 and another in U2. If they end up in different folders, it's just because you have those settings one way for regular shooting and a different way save in the U1 or U2 settings.

do you ever format the SD card again in the Camera? IF not then do reformat it. If yes and it recreate the multiple folders then try a camera reset top see it that takes care of the problem. Just remember that you will need to reset all the custom settings. Just watch when you do for any settings that might create custom folders. My wife shoots the D7000 and I have U1 and U2 set on it for her and she uses them plus Program and they are always in the same folder.