A few newbie questions-Nikon D5200 accessories...

Horoscope Fish

A few more questions-what do you guys use to protect the screen on your cameras?
I use one of these or something pretty much identical to it: Screen protector on Amazon. I don't remember paying this much for what I have but whatever I did get came with protectors for both LCD's like you see there.

Also, do any of you shoot with a monopod? I used one with my Panasonic FZ-20 and liked the results. Any opinions on this?
While there are definitely those times you need a full-on, rock-steady tripod (night photography, HDR, focus stacking etc.) I find I use my monopod a LOT even when, technically speaking, I don't need to; mainly because I find it's a huge help in controlling my framing. I also like that's it's practically weightless (compared to my tripod), fits in my hip pocket if I decide I'm not going to be needing it and that it provides probably 80% of the stability of a full-on tripod.

Pretzel

TBH, I've had my D3100 for a year and a half now, and haven't had any protection on the LCD, and I've shot everywhere, from indoors to out, winter scenes, beach, deep woods. No damage whatsoever... but I'm very careful with the camera, and it's always around my neck or in the bag.

Patrick M

Re Hood. Yes, get one...though I thought that the lens came with a hood anyway. Be careful when using the in-camera flash with the hood ... It can cause a shadow.
Re hand grip - get the Nikon one. There's loads of comments on this forum...but it's great if you're taking lots of photos and also if you have slightly larger hands too...but of course, that's just a personal view :)