A D7200 after all this time

bluzman

Senior Member
I decided to see what the buzz is all about when it comes to the D7200.

Lately, I've sold off all of my "late model" DX DSLRs (D7500, D500, D5600) and have acquired several USED, low shutter count, older models, both DX and FX. I bought a D3400, a D750 (again) and a D5300. I also was given a D3300. In almost all instances, these cameras had features that were removed from later versions.

I shoot mostly wildlife and my Z6iii and Z50ii take care of my needs for that genre. OTOH, I still enjoy shooting DSLRs, hence the addition of the older models. Along with the bodies, I've also been pairing them up with the old kit lenses that they might been have sold with when they were released. And, BTW, when firmware updates were available, I installed them. No one should be surprised that these combos still can produce wonderful pictures as long as I do my part.

Since I have older D3XXX and D5XXX models, it seemed like an older D7XXX body was in order. I considered a D7100 but was put off by the shallow buffer. Then I found a deal (<$400) on a D7200 with just over a 10K shutter count. It arrived yesterday. It has the appearance of a new body, the sensor is uncontaminated, and it is totally functional. It didn't have the latest firmware so I downloaded the file and installed it with no problems. I had planned on getting it out in the field this morning but, for the first time in weeks, it was raining here in North Texas so no joy. When I do get it out, I'll post some pix.

As side note, when I checked on the firmware version, I freaked out. There was a list of items (A, B, etc), none of which were the ones I was accustomed to seeing. A bit of research explained what I was seeing. Still, when I installed the latest update, it was with some trepidation that I might brick my latest acquisition before I ever got to use it. After the install, only the usual suspects appeared (C and L), but the process reset many parameters to their default values so I had to go back through the menus to reconfigure them to my preferences.
 

nikonbill

Senior Member
Contributor
Congrats on the D7200 I love mine, I think there is "some" truth to the colors generated with this body's sensor. Overall its just a joy to use, I have had good success with BIF using single point AF-C its strange that this mode works as well as it does (I have come back to it on this body many times).

Have fun with it
 

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I had two D7200 bodies and sold one since I also have a D500. Plus I have a refurbished D7100. There is no comparison between the D7200 and D7100. You chose the better one. I don't use my D7200 very often, but it is reliable and is a tank. Enjoy using it!
 

Woodyg3

Senior Member
I still have a D7200 and use it every once in a while when I don't need the "sportswear" features of my D500 bodies. :) One thing I like is that the auto white balance seems to be better on this body than other Nikons I have had.
 

benhasajeep

New member
What was the failing of the D500 and D7500? I just picked up a refurb D7500 for $500 from Nikon. Took it on my just finished work trip. And was looking at trying to get a D500 as well. I have D850, 800, 600, and Z8, 5II now, along with others. Just wondering why you like the 7200 better.
 

bluzman

Senior Member
The D500 and D7500 are (and continue to be) excellent cameras. They were my "go to" wildlife bodies for a very long time. That said, the Z6iii and Z50ii, both with all the features that come with the Xspeed 7 processor (especially subject recognition), made them superfluous IMO. As for the D7200, it's not a matter of liking it better that say the D7500. I bought it simply because it fit my current desire to own and shoot some of the older DSLRs (see my signature).

BTW, welcome aboard! :)
 

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
What was the failing of the D500 and D7500? I just picked up a refurb D7500 for $500 from Nikon. Took it on my just finished work trip. And was looking at trying to get a D500 as well. I have D850, 800, 600, and Z8, 5II now, along with others. Just wondering why you like the 7200 better.
The D7500 uses the same sensor as the D500 but only has one card slot. The D7200 has two card slots. When Nikon came out with the D7500, they removed some of the features (and downgraded others) that were on the D7200. Nikon also did away with the D3x00 and D5x00 series when the D7500 was released. So the D7500 became Nikon's base (or entry level) DSLR camera body. Nikon didn't manufacture a battery grip for the D7500 like they did for the D7200 although I think there might have been aftermarket ones made for it. Due to its sensor, it sure can yield some really nice images regardless of the changes.
 

benhasajeep

New member
The D7500 uses the same sensor as the D500 but only has one card slot. The D7200 has two card slots. When Nikon came out with the D7500, they removed some of the features (and downgraded others) that were on the D7200. Nikon also did away with the D3x00 and D5x00 series when the D7500 was released. So the D7500 became Nikon's base (or entry level) DSLR camera body. Nikon didn't manufacture a battery grip for the D7500 like they did for the D7200 although I think there might have been aftermarket ones made for it. Due to its sensor, it sure can yield some really nice images regardless of the changes.
Yea, I knew it was neutered some. And found out about no grip ( I'm a grip guy). But it's still a good camera. But I did get mine for way lower than it's original selling price.
 

Clovishound

Senior Member
My problem is that once I "upgrade" my equipment, I don't have a lot of interest in the previous equipment. I started off with a Z5 and foolishly bought a Z7ii. Don't get me wrong it's a great camera, just not for wildlife.

I now have a Z5 and Z7ii that I almost never use. It's great to have a backup camera, and I planned on using the Z7ii as a dedicated macro camera, but I find myself using the Z8 for macro a lot these days, because the autofocus works better for a number of insects than manual focus does.

I really should sell at least the Z5, but I hate the selling process. I ended up giving away a D3400 and two kit lenses to a new friend that was interested in wildlife photography and did me a favor that saved me a couple hundred bucks.
 
Top