85mm or 50mm lens

MwCapel

hi everyone i have an event coming up and i wanted to have the 85mm but money wise i cannot afford it till next week should i get the 50mm since its cheaper for now? or should i just wait?

torgo

hi everyone i have an event coming up and i wanted to have the 85mm but money wise i cannot afford it till next week should i get the 50mm since its cheaper for now? or should i just wait?
Do you want it for the 85mm's field of view? If so, the 50mm comes out to a 75mm FOV on a crop-sensor camera, which is pretty close.
Or are you looking at the 85mm f/1.4 for its legendary bokeh (never had one, but some people get absolutely goo-goo-gaa-gaa about it in forums) or other DOF attributes? Even if that's what you're looking for, if you're talking a 50mm f/1.8, it's barely over $100, so you could possibly get the 50 now, and the 85 later?

(I like spending other people's money ;))

fotojack

Get the 50. Trust me. :) You can NEVER go wrong with a 50. And at the price they're offered at now, you'd be crazy not to get it.

MwCapel

(I like spending other people's money ;))

haha i do too!!! lol

mainly im using the lens for a low lite club event, blue lighting blue lights throughout the club and i want to capture that sexiness basically i know the 85mm can do so but since i wont have the money till next week i really would like to know if the 50mm can do the job as good. i appreciate all responses too :)

fotojack

If you've got the money, a 50mm 1.4 will be the one to go with. If money is an issue, the 50mm 1.8 will do an excellent job in a low light environment as you describe. Save up for a decent 85mm down the road. :)

MwCapel

thank you very much!

tomorrow im buying the 50mm 1.8 just for this job but after i get paid for it that money is going towards the 85mm i thank you all for you input :) *hi fives everyone*