800mm f/5.6E anyone?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
It's only $18k!

Amazon.com: Nikon 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLRs: Camera & Photo

Nikon-AF-S-800mm-f5.6E-FL-ED-VR-lens-550x223.jpg

stmv

so,, let's say it was 400 dollars, and you had a once in a lifetime photo shoot of say snow geese migration (or whatever floats your boat) ... would anybody consider it, 400 dollars vs 18K?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
so,, let's say it was 400 dollars, and you had a once in a lifetime photo shoot of say snow geese migration (or whatever floats your boat) ... would anybody consider it, 400 dollars vs 18K?

If I could then sell the photos for more than $400 sure :) I don't see too many people renting it just for the fun of it.

I think a more profitable rental scenario would be photographing a celebrity from a great distance.

AC016

You would have to be wiping your butt with money or be making serious coin as a photog to have one of those. I would love to try one out for plane spotting and birding. Twice the magnification of my 400mm, i love it!!

Scott Murray

I would love to take one of these to Africa, but seeing as I cannot justify the rental cost I will have to resort to my skilled stalking skills and hire one of these....
hippo.jpg

Just-Clayton

Lets do this. Have the forum members pitch in an equal amount to purchase one lens. Each member then pays for the shipping and Insurance as they get their turn. We get the lens for 30 days each and then repeat each time. Since I came up with the idea i should get the first 30 days.( just saying)

nikonpup

lets do this. Have the forum members pitch in an equal amount to purchase one lens. Each member then pays for the shipping and insurance as they get their turn. We get the lens for 30 days each and then repeat each time. Since i came up with the idea i should get the first 30 days.( just saying)
900 active members x $20 = $18,000.00 so the cost is covered. Now for the kicker. 900 members 30 days use each
means in 73 years every member will have use of the lense, darn, i do not even buy green bananas. :)

Just-Clayton

you weren't supposed to do the math until the deal was done. You were going to get it after me Ron. Now you ruined my plan. here is a picture of me first in line.thCAHZAWYW.jpg This is the last person coming to get the lens from #899 and he was a teen when he paid his $20thCAH710ZV.jpgNote: this is only for comparison and had to use a Sigma lens instead.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
900 active members x $20 = $18,000.00 so the cost is covered. Now for the kicker. 900 members 30 days use each
means in 73 years every member will have use of the lense, darn, i do not even buy green bananas. :)

I know you were kidding with this post but we could do something like this with a Spyder or X-rite unit to calibrate our monitors. A good unit runs around $130 or so, if we just had 6 members willing to go in on this it would cost each member around $22 plus shipping.

Stangman98

That price was about $250 more than I thought it would be. I posted on their FB or Twitter account yesterday that I was figuring it would be about $1000 for a 3 day