800 or 800E ???

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'd just like to chime in and say that based heavily on this forum and this thread I made my decision and bit the bullet. I went with the D800E. Now all I'm fretting about is how I'm going to tell my wife!?!? She's under the opinion that I can get amazing results with any camera I use. Maybe to the non photographer, not to mine. So cheers and thanks for the great thread and the good advice!

You are a very brave man. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone.

oldsalt

I'd just like to chime in and say that based heavily on this forum and this thread I made my decision and bit the bullet. I went with the D800E. Now all I'm fretting about is how I'm going to tell my wife!?!? She's under the opinion that I can get amazing results with any camera I use. Maybe to the non photographer, not to mine. So cheers and thanks for the great thread and the good advice!

You'll love it ... I'm still in the very early learning curve and have lots to learn yet ... it really is an amazing bit of kit ... I know it's a bit like buying a Ferrari to drive to the corner store but if you just stuck this camera in "auto" and clicked away you'd be a very happy man for years to come - but once you start to dig deeper into its little computer brain you soon discover that it does sooooooo much more ... I'm very pleased with my purchase....
I look forward to seeing some of your shots soon.
cheers

Silven

You'll love it ... I'm still in the very early learning curve and have lots to learn yet ... it really is an amazing bit of kit ... I know it's a bit like buying a Ferrari to drive to the corner store but if you just stuck this camera in "auto" and clicked away you'd be a very happy man for years to come - but once you start to dig deeper into its little computer brain you soon discover that it does sooooooo much more ... I'm very pleased with my purchase....
I look forward to seeing some of your shots soon.
cheers

Well, you're mostly right. I really really love the D800E!! I never thought a camera could be THIS good. It really redefines my previous limitations. The sky is the limit. The camera however DOES NOT have an "auto" mode! ;) These are all pure shots. Signed converted and shrunk to jpeg and thats it. No Editing whatsoever!!! Sick sick camera!! Calatrava's Peace Bridge.JPGAfter The Rain.JPGSerenity.JPGTowering.JPG

Bill16

I haven't had mine very long and never tried anything like that, since I haven't found a need for the lower MPs! But others might know! :)

A quick question for.d800.and d800 users. Are you able to shoot lower than the 36.3 MP but achieve high iso images?

mikew_RIP

I guess it may have a DX mode which would reduce file size but it kind of defeats the purpose,except possibly in certain situations.

Bill16

Yes that will make some difference in file sizes, if your not shooting raw I believe. Shoot raw to lower sizes you'll need to shoot in Dx mode I believe.
But JPG will be smaller than raw, and you can shrink them with the L,M,S size adjustment I believe.
I just shoot raw+jpg with the jpg's set at large+fine so I haven't really looked it up to be positive. Sorry.

In my current D300, I could select L, M, S size for.my images. I suppose that will.determine the file size?

Bukitimah

Oh that is very informative to me. I also shoot raw and jpeg and notice I can shoot more if I ser to S. so if raw is no change, I will shoot in S since I only use it to view the picture in my computer when I don't use CS 6.

Bill16

Try it first to make sure I'm right! That way you don't mess anything up on a good photo! :)

Oh that is very informative to me. I also shoot raw and jpeg and notice I can shoot more if I ser to S. so if raw is no change, I will shoot in S since I only use it to view the picture in my computer when I don't use CS 6.