70-210mm AF... Anyone?

Flugelbinder

Hope you enjoy the lens. I was looking to get a backup lens to my 70-200 VR1 and was looking at this lens for a long time now. I was considering the 80-200 AFD or even the sigma/tamron 70-200 for emergency situations. but since I have the 105 VR the 70-210 would be just fine. how much are they going for? I saw they can be bought for about $170-250. kens review said some have focus issues.

btw why was this lens stopped shortly? seems like a superior lens to the 4-5.6 one.

It's sharp even wide open. It's not very fast, but you should be fine with a camera which can perform good in low light/high ISO. These were shot with the D90 at ISO1000, which was pushing it a bit too far, so, with any of your cameras you'll get better shutter speeds. _DSC0732.jpg_DSC0811.jpg_DSC0847.jpg_DSC0785-1.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0732.jpg
    _DSC0732.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 129
  • _DSC0785-web.jpg
    _DSC0785-web.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 144

Flugelbinder

Congrats it's a very good lens way better in IQ Than the 4-5.6 version enjoy & post some pix.

Thank you! Never tried the 4-5.6 version, but the reviews all stated that exactly - except for KR, but he got a lemon for sure ;)... I couldn't be more pleased. I was/am in a very tight budget, so this amazing piece of glass for $150 was just perfect!

Flugelbinder

There's something I forgot to mention and I believe it might have some weight in your decisión... The lens has a slow focus speed. Accurate, but a tad slow... Cheers.

Percussionman11

old thread I know but I just got this lens yesterday and have noticed the same as the OP. This lens is very sharp considering how old it is but is super noisy and slow with its focusing. That said the bokah is nice for an f/4 lens. That said I'd love to get the 70-200 F/2.8 VRII but can't find the pocketbook for it so this is minimal cost to hold me over in the meantime. Also gives me the opportunity to look at an FX camera to go along with it for the money saved.

skene

Yes the 70-210 F4 is a great lens, I really would not say it is noisy as I have one myself... But since it is a screw drive it will make some noise. However I also just got myself a 70-200 F2.8 Tamron, and I cannot wait to put that through the ringer. So my 70-210 will be put on the back burner with the rest of my lens collection.