55-300 or 70-300 ?

Curt

They are both great lenses, go in the camera shop and try them on your camera, then make the choice.
That way you won't have to sell one in a few months to buy the one your really want....lol..:).

Toppers

if I could I would, BUT cash is a factor. New camera and adding a new lens as well limits me for now....

Last edited by a moderator:

kitch217

Just to say I think the 55-300mm lens is a lot better fit with the D3100 than the 70-300 which is a lot bigger. I have had the 55-300mm lens for around a month and it can be slow at focusing but only when you go from close to distant focus. It can also sometimes struggle to focus in low light, but as I am normally a daylight shooter it doesnt normally cause any problems.

I have posted a few pictures in the gallery (I am a new member so only 3!) with the 55-300 on the D3100, they are very sharp on my PC but have lost a little bit of clarity with whatever they do here on the uploads.

nacg8or

I have the 70-300 vr and love it. I'm sure you'll love which ever lens you end up buying.
I was on safari back in the pre-digital days and had a 70-200 lens. Luckily someone in the group had the identical camera I had and let me borrow his teleconverter. The extra reach to capture the animals was great. You'll definitely enjoy having the extra reach of the 300mm.

Toppers

ok, just got my 55-300 today; weather is awful here, so unable to get out and about to test it :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Toppers

been trying that like what I see so far :D was hoping it would get better so I could walk dog and shot some pictures as we walked round fields etc...

jtkpenguin

Ordered this last tuesday, not been dispatched yet though, but it is the cheapest I could find if you don't mind waiting a week.

Nikon Lens - Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm F4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

Hope this helps!

Heather

Heather, I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but I also saw this & nearly purchased it but something held me back a bit & niggled me about the website, like no physical address & when I did some research into the company there are loads of bad reviews of people ordering & not receiving the items, 2nds sold as new, faulty goods, no refunds forthcoming etc. so I'm now looking elsewhere to purchase.

I sincerely hope it works out for you & all's well when you get your order.
Tina

Tigertail

Heather, I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but I also saw this & nearly purchased it but something held me back a bit & niggled me about the website, like no physical address & when I did some research into the company there are loads of bad reviews of people ordering & not receiving the items, 2nds sold as new, faulty goods, no refunds forthcoming etc. so I'm now looking elsewhere to purchase.

I sincerely hope it works out for you & all's well when you get your order.
Tina

Thanks Tina, I think I must be one of the lucky ones as it turned up on 28th June and I love it!

........I was sweating a lot before it came as I read all the same reviews as you AFTER I had ordered it and it disappeared off the site as well!

Here is a recent pic taken with it.

Heather

Treacle.jpg

Last edited:

jtkpenguin

Heather, delighted to hear your purchase arrived safely! the pic of treacle is superb!! (s)he's gorgeous & such a poser !!
btw, where are you located? I lived on the 'sunny' south coast years ago...
Tina

Tigertail

Heather, delighted to hear your purchase arrived safely! the pic of treacle is superb!! (s)he's gorgeous & such a poser !!
btw, where are you located? I lived on the 'sunny' south coast years ago...
Tina

Treacle is a friends cat and is a complete nightmare to get a decent pic of as she has the attention span of a gnat!
I shot this from the other side of the room and she never noticed me doing it.

I am near Worthing, West Sussex and it's not very sunny at the moment!

Heather

jtkpenguin

I would wait and get the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR lens. You will not be sorry.
I am not saying the 55-300mm. is not good (I have never used one)But I must say the 70-300mm is without question worth every penny.
don't mean to hijack this post, but I'm curious about your reply as I'm about to buy a new lens for my D3100 & just wonder if this is the one you guys would recommend or is there a better one?
Thnks for any advice,
Tina

fotojack

don't mean to hijack this post, but I'm curious about your reply as I'm about to buy a new lens for my D3100 & just wonder if this is the one you guys would recommend or is there a better one?
Thnks for any advice,
Tina

Yup, that's the lens Curt is kinda fond of. ;) Matter of fact, he raves about it. Definitely worth it if you have the budget. Otherwise, go for the less expensive 55-300 VR. Both will give you excellent pictures.

jtkpenguin

cheers for your v. helpful reply, much appreciated, I'm simply dying to order it but didn't wanna make a mistake I'd regret in the future!
Tina