50mm on a d5100

§am

Senior Member
It also depends what you want to use the lens for.

My 50mm f/1.8G is fine for me in my house when I want to take a portrait of one of my kids, but to fit them both in, I would have to step back too far and with no space to do so, sometimes becomes an issue.
For that reason, I'm looking at a 28mm f/1.8G which should help, and also I think I would find useful for out and about photography too.

The other option I've looked at is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8G... but it's pricey!!
​
 

Mycenius

Senior Member
The 50mm f1.8 G would be an excellent choice for a portrait lens on a DX sensor.

...We know what kind of perspective you will be getting with a 50mm lens on a DX sensor and that's why we're suggesting it. The same goes for the 35mm f1.8G. I could use either very effectively as a portrait lens; I would just need to move a little closer if I was going to be using the 35mm.

Yes the 35mm would be good (or better?) in other respects too - it would give you more options with non-portrait shots for example being wider... But obviously will cost a little more than the 50mm IIRC. I have a 50mm and always regretted not getting the 35mm instead...
 

str8rcn

Senior Member
I have both the 35mm and the 50mm. I have found the 35 is good for indoor use,low light portrait etc.. and I use the 50 more outdoors where I have more room to move around. I will say I use the 35 more but the 50 seems to have a little better Bokeh.
​
 

Sandpatch

Senior Member
... sometimes you just can not get back far enough or get close enough to get the shot you need so that is why my 18-105 stays on my camera most of the time.

I noticed that too. I kept my "old" 50mm Nikkor AF f/1.8 from the early '80s and coupled it onto my D5100 for a visit to a car show, thinking that its compact size would be nice. I quickly found that I had to stand waaay back from the cars to get shots. It was an interesting discovery.
 

Mycenius

Senior Member
I noticed that too. I kept my "old" 50mm Nikkor AF f/1.8 from the early '80s and coupled it onto my D5100 for a visit to a car show, thinking that its compact size would be nice. I quickly found that I had to stand waaay back from the cars to get shots. It was an interesting discovery.

Well it is the equivalent of a 75mm FL when on a DX body... :) ;)
 

SFC

Senior Member
Top