And now for some colours

_DSC0922.jpg

_DSC0930.jpg

_DSC0933.jpg

_DSC0936.jpg

_DSC0940.jpg

_DSC0941.jpg

aroy

The mango tree in my backyard has started flowering. Here are images of the flowers. The flowers are very small so you have to look keenly to get them

_DSC1085.jpg
Full Frame

_DSC1085a.jpg
Cropped

_DSC1085b.jpg
100%. Note that even at F4 there is a very narrow DOF

Last edited:

aroy

I caught ant and bee on the lime tree flowers in my back yard. As my hands shake and there was a slight breeze, I used flash to "freeze" the action.

_DSC1049.jpg

_DSC1053.jpg

_DSC1054.jpg

_DSC1062.jpg
Flower bud - no bugs

Last edited:

aroy

Some more flower shots

_DSC2353.jpg

_DSC2330.JPG

_DSC2341.JPG

_DSC2326.JPG

In these photos, I was aiming primarily for details. As my hands shake, I am try out various options for getting razor sharp details. Till now the flash has helped in "freezing" the motion of both my hands and the wind.

Slipperman

i just ordered this from Amazon..
50mm

my D5100 is listed as a DX type camera but the lens is a FX type. Amazon seems to think it will work just fine with my camera but the i wanted to verify that as well as to ask what is the difference between DX and FX?

aroy

i just ordered this from Amazon..
50mm

my D5100 is listed as a DX type camera but the lens is a FX type. Amazon seems to think it will work just fine with my camera but the i wanted to verify that as well as to ask what is the difference between DX and FX?
The FX lens's image circle covers the 36mm x 24mm of the FX sensor. The DX lens's image circle covers the 24mm x 18mm of the DX sensor.

All FX lenses work perfectly with DX sensors. In contrast the image circle of a DX lense is smaller than the FX sensor, so you will get vignetting - light fall off at the corners if you use the DX lense with FX sensor. How much depends on the lense and the focal length.

Last edited:

Slipperman

The FX lens's image circle covers the 36mm x 24mm of the FX sensor. The DX lens's image circle covers the 24mm x 18mm of the DX sensor.

All FX lenses work perfectly with DX sensors. In contrast the image circle of a DX lense is smaller than the FX sensor, so you will get vignetting - light fall off at the corners if you use the DX lense with FX sensor. How much depends on the lense and the focal length.
thx.. am excited about this purchase - a very good prime lens for little money and the first i bought that didn't come with the camera. next up, the 18-140mm..

aroy

I am getting hooked on to AF, so avoiding using this lense as it is MF in my D3300. After taking a few shots with the 35mm F1.8, I realised that for these shots
a) MF would be better
b) The 50mm has better contrast
_DSC5639.jpg

_DSC5640.jpg

this is with the 35mm

_DSC5600.jpg