50mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.8 a good upgrade?

nikmeon

Many thanks for your comments, I have used RAW and Fine setting on jpeg, I try not to do much post processing as i like the challenge to get an acceptable image in camera.
It looks like the 1.8 version is a good lens and will consider a purchase in the near future.
I look forward to reading a lot more interesting topics on this forum

adityasoman

Both the 35 and 50 f/1.8 are amazing

But but
As u already have a kit...jus before getting the new lens
Set the kit lens on say 50 and shoot n then try for 35

And then decide which focal length u like

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Offertonhatter

The answer is - either. :D
I always advocate having a nifty to any person just starting out with an SLR or DSLR after the kit lens. It does not matter which brand or whether it is a 1.4 or 1.8, it is the next step in the photographic journey. Plus they work beautifully on APS-C bodies as well as FF and film. They just show how good a cheap prime can be, and how much better than a kit lens. To give you an example I have ten 50/55mm lenses in Nikon-F mount, Pentax K-mount, M42 mount and even a 50mm F2.8 for my medium format. They are just brilliant to use and creative.
Hope this helps. ;)

bikeit

Guys dont mean to jump in here but i have recently took up photography,and am still trying to get to grips with it all if you dont mind i use the D5300 and have the option of buying a 50mm F1.4 G lens at a reasonable price what sort of photography would this lens be best for?

paul04

Guys dont mean to jump in here but i have recently took up photography,and am still trying to get to grips with it all if you dont mind i use the D5300 and have the option of buying a 50mm F1.4 G lens at a reasonable price what sort of photography would this lens be best for?

No real limit on what pictures you can take, very good in low light/indoors, landscape, portrait, sunrise/sunset, night sky, architecture, and so on, and just a general walk around lens.

J-see

I shot a couple with the 50 1.8 yesterday and I like the lens for indoor/no flash. Personally I don't need the 1.4 so I opted for the cheaper version.

This is one of the shots but I don't know if it says much about the lens. Full shot, wide open no flash.

024-2.jpg

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I really don't like the concept one needs a specific lens, or type of lens, to shoot specific subject matter; e.g. if you want to shoot landscapes you "need" a wide angle lens (and the wider the better, at least to some point). I've shot some pretty decent landscapes with big zooms and normals as well as wide angles. The same goes for street photography and stills.

I don't consider myself anything but a mediocre photographer but I do believe at some point we need to stop asking , "What lens do I need to get the shot I want?" and start asking, "How do I get the shot I want with the lens I have?". In my experience the former path leads to gear acquisition, the latter path to better photography.

All that being said the 50mm prime is a very capable lens. It's only limitation, really, is the person using it.

J-see

I really don't like the concept one needs a specific lens, or type of lens, to shoot specific subject matter; e.g. if you want to shoot landscapes you "need" a wide angle lens (and the wider the better, at least to some point). I've shot some pretty decent landscapes with big zooms and normals as well as wide angles. The same goes for street photography and stills.....

At first I was addicted to wide for landscapes and it had to be wide, really wide... no even wider. But now I'm using the widest range less than before and pick my range according the subject instead of the subject according my range. Occasionally I take the 70-300 or even the 150-600 to shoot some landscapes. While they're not wide at all, they enable me to frame shots that otherwise require crawling through muddy fields or walking further than I desire.

In the end we can frame about anything with anything but it requires some thinking. Yet it is much easier to carry some shorts along than have to drag a 150-600mm for hours.

​I'm lazy like that at times.

bikeit

Thanks guys for your feedback, i can buy the F1.4 from a workmate cheaper that the F1.8, oh as my camera is not full frame will either lens work ok?