3300 out of focus?

Daz

Of your on Auto it should let you toggle down to it, Another way is to change it to Manual instead of Auto all the options will be open to you :) sorry its taking a while to respond im in Heathrow waiting for a flight

tea2085

Daz-got it and it now shows AF-A in that square. Still don't see any "dot" when I depress the release button halfway. Thank you soooo much for your time. Where in the heck is Heathrow? Paul

Daz

That's OK, dependent on what settings you have the fucus on you may not see the dot

The setting next to where you changed the AF is the AF area mode, now change that to single point or dynamic and you will see it

Ps it's only a focal area point so you will see lots of black dots 11 in the case of a 3300 and using the directional pad you can change where the focus is on these (that is the red dot you will see) put your eye in the view finder and move the directional pad and you will see the dot shift

London Heathrow is one of the busiest airports in the UK I am heading to Sydney :D

tea2085

Daz; I know where Sydney is. Thanks to you and Fish and all others who helped me with this problem. I'm just glad it's not the camera. Boy, you guys are great. Paul

Horoscope Fish

That's OK, dependent on what settings you have the fucus on you may not see the dot...
I'm not referring to a focus point, I'm referring to the "Focus Confirmation" LED at the very bottom left of the viewfinder.

If the camera can confirm focus, that LED *will* illuminate. Here's another picture, I'm referring to item #2:
focus dot.GIF

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Is your lens itself set to A for auto focus or MF for manual focus? It should be AF for the camera to focus for you.

Also after pushing "i" on the screen HF displayed the block you are looking for will have either AF-A, AF-S, AF-C, or MF. That is for changing how the camera focuses. I mostly use AF-C.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Disregard the second part of my last post. I see you have gotten past that point. Ha! The lens setting on the lens itself will make a difference however. Ha!

aroy

I was able to return to some acreage I owned several years ago. I had limited time and did not want to practice manual settings as I may not ever be able to return. I shot JPEG "auto". Some of my pics were clearly out of focus- I was really disappointed. About 75% seemed to be clearly focused. Being a newbie, I have shot most of my pics in the past in auto, all with perfect focus. I am wondering now if my camera is malfunctioning or if there's another reason for what happened. My lens is clean and I don't understand what is going on.. Help!
PaulView attachment 154944View attachment 154944View attachment 154950View attachment 154950View attachment 154953

I assume that you are using P mode. Shift to "A" (Aperture priority) mode to get better control. Use ISO 100 unless the light is insufficient and you want to jack up the speed.

1. at F20 the diffraction will make images soft. Use ISO 100 and not more than F11 in bright light.
2. The grass may be too close to the lens. Us AF-S, with single point focus. Then the camera will not shoot out-of-focus scenes.

tea2085

foto,
When you have absolutely no idea as to why the focus is off, it makes it real hard to look up. I appreciate the wealth of experience on this site and have used it often. Maybe someday I will be able to help beginners. Those who want to help me- thank you. Those who don't, please don't waste you time telling me I'm doing something wrong.

tea2085

I have tried everything you fine gentlemen have suggested and even studied David Busches 350 page camera book solely about the 3300 _to no avail. I will send my camera to Nikon, it is still under warranty. I will let you guys know what they find. Thanks tons- Paul

tea2085

Daz, I thought so too but in autofocus the same prob showed again. I did learn a valuable lesson from you, though. The camera is on it's way to Nikon in Queens ny and I will let you know what they found. Paul