2024 Solar Eclipse photo

SPV

2024 Solar Eclipse photo from North Bay Area California untouched using Nikon Z6, ISO 100, Metered Single point, F5.6, used Solar Eclipse eye glass to cover the lens.

Attachments

• DSC_8419.JPG
    DSC_8419.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC_8420.JPG
    DSC_8420.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22

SPV

sorry to post a Canon picture, just to compare i used Canon. F5.6, ISO 100, solar eclipse eye glass to cover the lens.

Attachments

• IMG_8502.JPG
    IMG_8502.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 30

Bob Blaylock

Out of the last few solar eclipses, I think this is the first time anyone with better equipment, able to take better pictures, than I, got any better pictures.

One thing I still have not acquired is a suitable neutral-density filter to let me take pictures of the Sun.

A previous time or two, I used a device that I made to fit in the back of my ancient 85-205mm ƒ/3.8 Vivitar zoom lens from the late 1960s or early 1970s, with a pinhole to serve as a very small aperture.

In October of 2023, there was very heavy overcast, with, just by dumb luck, the Sun finding a thin enough spot to show through, right at the moment the eclipse was at its peak, while dimming it enough that my camera could handle it without the pinhole device. I actually wound up getting a very good image on that occasion.

I think on all those occasions, nobody else in this forum had good enough weather to make the attempt.

This time, I made a pinhole attachment for the front of my Vivitar lens. It doesn't seem to work an better or worse that the attachment for the back of the lens.

As I was testing my latest rig, it occurred to me, much too late to have time to build it, that what I really ought to have tried was a pinhole-only device. With the pinhole at that distance from the sensor, it could have served as the lens itself. A body cap, with a hole cut in it, a paper towel tube glued to the front of it, and a pinhole at the other end of the tube, might have worked better than what I was doing; just the pinhole itself, without all the glass in the way.

Anyway, here's my sequence from first contact to last contact.

SolarEclipse20240408.gif

Dawg Pics

When I shot the partial eclipse in Texas, I used the film that I got off of those cheap cardboard eclipse glasses. I attached the film to my glass filter and screwed it onto my 300mm lens. The images were good.

blackstar

sorry to post a Canon picture, just to compare i used Canon. F5.6, ISO 100, solar eclipse eye glass to cover the lens.
Look like the Canon image is much clearer or sharper than Nikon's? Any difference between the bodies, lenses, and settings?

SPV

Video taken in Z6
Look like the Canon image is much clearer or sharper than Nikon's? Any difference between the bodies, lenses, and settings?
Canon I used 70D with 55mm-250mm zoom with Solar eclipse sun glasses as filter with ISO 100, F5.6, 1/6Sec, 84mm. I used similar setting in both Cameras. I was also wondering what makes the canon photo looks sharper than Nikon Z6?! May be experts can through in their views which could help a lot.

Nikon Z6, ISO 100, F5.6, 1.6sec, 200mm
Canon 70D ISO 100, F5.6, 1/6Sec, 84mm

BF Hammer

Stay tuned as I have not gotten home yet from my eclipse road trip yet. The Z5 was clicking and weather was as fair as can be hoped for.

Dawg Pics

Video taken in Z6

Canon I used 70D with 55mm-250mm zoom with Solar eclipse sun glasses as filter with ISO 100, F5.6, 1/6Sec, 84mm. I used similar setting in both Cameras. I was also wondering what makes the canon photo looks sharper than Nikon Z6?! May be experts can through in their views which could help a lot.

I would blame the filter for the difference. If it is that plastic film in cardboard, it might have flexed enough to give you a soft focus.

SPV

I would blame the filter for the difference. If it is that plastic film in cardboard, it might have flexed enough to give you a soft focus.
I was not prepared at all. I thought I may not get to see the eclipse, but fortunately i did see and took pictures using available filters. It was just a try and I'm happy i get to take some pictures...

BF Hammer

I was not prepared at all. I thought I may not get to see the eclipse, but fortunately i did see and took pictures using available filters. It was just a try and I'm happy i get to take some pictures...
I tried to take cellphone photos through my eclipse glasses. Very blurred. I think the camera wanted to focus on the filter material. But I was just giving a live update to everyone I work with, not trying to make art there.

My setup...20240408_131047.jpg

Last edited:

SPV

2024 Solar Eclipse photo from North Bay Area California untouched using Nikon Z6, ISO 100, Metered Single point, F5.6, used Solar Eclipse eye glass to cover the lens.
I used Canon 70D with 55mm-250mm zoom with Solar eclipse sun glasses as filter with ISO 100, F5.6, 1/6Sec, 84mm. I used a similar setting in both Cameras. I was also wondering what makes the Canon photo look sharper than the Nikon Z6?! Maybe experts can throw in their views which could help a lot.

Attachments

• DSC_8419.JPG
    DSC_8419.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC_8420.JPG
    DSC_8420.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8502.JPG
    IMG_8502.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12